Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Tight Should the Holster Be

Smitty79

I am using a Blade-Tech OWB holster on a BOSS hanger for my CZ in Production. I frequently have the gun catch a little when I try to draw. The bottom of the holster swings out a bit and I lose a tenth or more on draw speed.

I'm thinking of backing off the tension so the gun just doesn't fall out when the holster is inserted, about a 2 lb pull. I would guess I'm at 4 or 5 right now.

Is there a good method that consistently gets a safe holster tension where the gun still comes out smooth? Is it just a problem with my draw that I need to work on?

Try getting a couple of those thumb screw tension adjusters. Then you can keep it loose most of the time, but tighten it up if you have a odd stage that may have some running before you draw. Or a stage that has some sort of funky seated start....or whatever.

Edited by gransport

Go thumb screws. Like he said loose for a stand and draw, tighten for a weird start. It's like a race holster. Unlocked for stand and draw. Locked for running first, laying down, chair or any other weird start. We shoot with a guy who has basiy zero retention on his. Uspsa you can usually run it loose until you need it tight based in position. For 3 gun I'm running a level 2 retention

• 2 weeks later...

When I put the (empty) gun in the holster and hold the holster upside down (over a soft surface) and shake the holste it shouldn't fall out.

When I started shooting USPSA the rule book still had a provision for the holster retension test.

I guess I just always figured better safe than sorry (DQd).

Edited by caspian guy