Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 headspace problem

Raydee38

Guys I just got my trimmer in the mail and I am getting it all setup. I am having a issue with some resized brass having a hard time ejecting when not fired. I have been using dillon sizing dies and check each round in a dillon headspace gauge. Each round drops in like it should and comes right out of the gauge bit they are tight in my chamber.

Now that I have the trimmer setup it looks like it will actually bump the shoulder a little more than my dillon FL die will. When I bump the shoulder a little more using the trimmer die it looks like it is bumped back to far according to my dillon gauge. Should I worry about bumping the shoulder back to far? Here is a pic of one of my cases sized using the trimmer die with the die screwed down just a little past hitting the shell plate on my 550.

2014-11-15%2016.20.08.jpg

Here is a pic of that case in the Dillon gauge, it is a little under the low lip of the gauge.

20141115_163814.jpg

Edited by Raydee38

Assuming that Hornady comparator pic has the calipers zero'd...it looks like you're over-sizing, but...do you have any brass on hand that you know was fired in your rifle and hasn't been processed yet?

If so, what do you get on the comparator with that brass?

Typically, people measure the fire-formed brass coming out of their rifle, then set their sizing die to push it back .002-.006" depending on bolt or semi-auto. If course, if you're using multiple different rifles in a caliber, and they have different headspace, you'll need to load 'per rifle' or to the shortest chamber.

Using the same comparator, and zero-ing the calipers, brass from my rifle typically comes out to ~1.4625" as an average of some 10+ rounds; I resize to ~1.458".

YMMV - you may have a tighter chamber than most, but that's why it's important to gage the cases formed in your rifle for the computer to be truly useful.

I think I figured out the problem, but I am not sure as to why it happened. When I measure my fire formed brass I am getting a average of 1.4610" but my resized reloads are longer than that for some reason. They look good in my Dillon gauge and chamber easily in my bolt gun but the autoloader is a different story.

I think I figured out the problem, but I am not sure as to why it happened. When I measure my fire formed brass I am getting a average of 1.4610" but my resized reloads are longer than that for some reason. They look good in my Dillon gauge and chamber easily in my bolt gun but the autoloader is a different story.

I'm confused - the pics in the comparator show 1.449", which I'm assuming is your current resized brass?

If your chamber/fire-formed brass is averaging 1.461" (this is your shortest across your guns?), if anything, you're still over-sizing (pushing it back too much) the brass at 1.449" - should be closer to 1.457-8"..

???

I thought I read that the Dillon die set are small base dies?

Here is a quote I got right from Dillon on their forum:

All Dillon rifle dies are small-based, with a carbide expander ball. We do sell the steel 223 size die separately, #12778. This die is not available online, order by phone. It does have a lube bleed-hole in the shoulder.

Edited by Raydee38

hmmm, well this is an interesting problem.

Already using small base dies, rounds fit into a quality gage...

Do you have this extraction problem with factory ammo?

Have you had the chamber checked with Go/NOGO gages?

What bullet and OAL are you using?

Also, I just went back to read your original post. Since you bought a trimmer, I assume you trimmed the brass after sizing it.

Edited by pyrrhic3gun

Don't worry what the calibers say, its an arbitrary reference measurement. Best case is get brass fired from your rifles and measure both of them. Get a reference with the calipers. to set up dies don't pass the same brass through the die, use a new-fired piece each time. Size the brass and measure, and adjust until you have set back the shoulder .002 or so on the shortest chamber brass. This way you can use the same brass in both rifles. Alternatively, if you don't have calipers, size, adjust and size until you can close the bolt. Size 5 pieces of brass, make sure they all work and lock the dies in. Depending on which bolt gun you have your semi auto chamber might be smaller. It is best to set aside brass for each rifle is possible and have a FL die for each rifle. Provided you have done things right the sized brass will drop into a case gauge. Think of the bottom step of the gauge as "min spec" and the top ridge as "max" and your rifle chambers are somewhere in the middle. A little over sizing will not hurt. With an undersized case you will not be able to close your bolt in a bolt gun or cases will stick in the semi auto and mimic pressure issues.

I recommend to use this to check the shoulder setback

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/477756/rcbs-precision-mic-223-remington?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Since I started using it I don't have rounds getting stuck in the chamber of my rifles anymore. Dillon dies are not small base but consider using a little bit of overcam when sizing your brass and you may not need to buy another die.

The sizing gauge Dillon, JP, LE Wilson do not check the shoulder setback, I know I've tried them all. That's my experience I hope it helps.

Edited by Mad Doc