Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G20 with 40cal barrel?

John Baier

The larger G20 frame seems to spread the recoil out in the hand more. My girlfriend will shoot Major (Limited) in her G20 (with the 40 barrel), but she doesn't like shooting the same loads in my G35.

So...yeah...softer in the G20. (make sure to use the 10mm barrel in your G20 if you plan to shoot Production...Amidon says that a 40 barrel in the G20 isn't Production legal :blink: )

I use a .40 ejector in my GL20 when shooting .40. It is an easy swap and makes even light loads 100% reliable.

I never thought about swapping out teh ejector (likely because the G20runs like a Glock with the 40 barrel).

I did put in a light recoil spring (ISMI).

I was suprised to see the gun run some of my minor 40 loads. But, I didn't try many.

(Interesting idea..the 40 ejector)

Because a 10mm is a longer case than a .40, the 10mm ejector is shorter to handle the longer case - a .40 cal ejector would be slightly longer, hopefully giving more consistent, stronger ejection with the shorter cases.

Okay, I'm confused, what is the difference in the 40 and the 10mm ejectors? What is the advantage gained?

-ld

10mm brass is longer, so the only thing I can think of is that the 10mm ejector is shorter than the .40 ejector. It kind of confused me too.

Flex, you had said that the .40 barrel won't work in production. Any word on IDPA ESP? I know we disscussed this in other threads, but from what I can see, there still isn't any destinction in the rule book defining "caliber." Thanks.

I've shot the G20 in Limited and Limited10 for two years now as a 40 cal.

I'd love to shoot it as a 10mm, but there's no way I can justify the $$$$$.

Let's compare:

1000 Brass cases 40S&W = $10-$20

1000 Brass Cases 10mm = $70-$100.

If anyone can find cheaper 10mm brass, please let me know.

I like the large frame.

I shoot Minor Loads in my gun for Steel Plate Matches and the only modification I make it to install a lighter weight recoil spring (13 pound).

I did experience some feed problems when I first make the conversion to 40, but I solved them by using round nose bullets and extending the COL to 1.175.

Ray

So if you’re using a forty barrel in the G20 are you also lengthening the OAL and using a heavier bullet?

Nope.

I run the same "standard" length 40 round in the G20 (with the 40 barrel) that I run in my G35.

The G20 (with the 40 barrel) also runs just fine on Val-u-pak Winchester ammo (165's) from Walmart.