Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Witness 1911

bayougump

Has anyone ever shot or had any experience with the Tanfoglio 1911? I don't own a 1911 and I'm sure their are numerous other models that are superior (maybe or maybe not) but I simply love the Tanfoglio line of guns. I have 2 Production guns, 2 Limited guns, and an Open gun which all are Tanfos and thinking of adding this so I'll have Single Stack covered and the ability to shoot any division for years to come.

post-47835-141590547166_thumb.jpg

I did find one online at a good price it seemed below:

http://grabagun.com/eaa-corp-witness-1911-45acp-8rd-2t.html

Mr. Gump,

I too recently fell in love with the Tanfoglio guns but have just two. I think they are a unique value for the games we play. Probably the one downside is the availability of parts and the fact that there are fewer people around that know them well. We do pretty well in Canada with our distributor and so I'm comfortable with the guns from a service perspective.

As you clearly know there are a gazillion 1911 builders both in the US and abroad. I have no reason to think that the Tanfo 1911 wouldn't be competitive. However warranty service could be another matter. For the price of the Tanfo 1911 you could find several guns that would be at the same level or better but that are better supported in the US. STI and Ruger come to mind and both companies have pistols in that price range. While the STI's at that price level are imported, they are known and respected guns with STI backing.

I'm not in the market for that sort of 1911 but if I were, I think I would look at the US companies as part of my selection process. If I were looking at a Single Stack 1911, the STI Trojan would get a hard look.

Mr. Gump,

I too recently fell in love with the Tanfoglio guns but have just two. I think they are a unique value for the games we play. Probably the one downside is the availability of parts and the fact that there are fewer people around that know them well. We do pretty well in Canada with our distributor and so I'm comfortable with the guns from a service perspective.

As you clearly know there are a gazillion 1911 builders both in the US and abroad. I have no reason to think that the Tanfo 1911 wouldn't be competitive. However warranty service could be another matter. For the price of the Tanfo 1911 you could find several guns that would be at the same level or better but that are better supported in the US. STI and Ruger come to mind and both companies have pistols in that price range. While the STI's at that price level are imported, they are known and respected guns with STI backing.

I'm not in the market for that sort of 1911 but if I were, I think I would look at the US companies as part of my selection process. If I were looking at a Single Stack 1911, the STI Trojan would get a hard look.

That's a very good perspective to approach this gun. I agree the support in the states for Tanfos is lacking but one good thing out of that lack of support is I've learned to diagnose and do much of the work needed on my guns. Granted I am not a "true Tanfo gunsmith" but know my way around them for general purposes. Also I would assume that most 1911 platforms would be similiar in designs and functionality (again just assuming) and I am lucky enough to have a local gunsmith who specializes in 1911 style pistols among other things. Lastly I think the price is almost bargain basement all things considered.

Gump. One of the reasons I really like the Tanfos is that I've been able to to some parts fitting with confidence. I've definitely learned more with these gun that any others I have owned. My Limited Custom is just about perfect to my level of demands and for a while it was a minor disappointment as it didn't provide any tinker time.

So that was one of the reasons for buying the Limited Pro. I've learned a lot (for me) from this forum and links provided by members and so had the confidence to buy a bunch of upgraded parts and to install them. Now things that baffled me for many minutes can be handled very quickly and I still have the same number of hands and fingers. I just how to use them better.

My 1911 is another example of perfection and should be for what it cost me. I don't think I would ever monkey with it. I do detail strip it with confidence and that was a big milestone for me.

I don't think it's a mystery as to why so many of us kids love guns. :-)

Not that long ago, I would not have understood. Now I'm a believer. It's probaby unnatural for someone to have just 1 1911. I'm going to look at the Canadian price now :-)

$560.00 Ca in Canada now. There's not many around less than that but we do get to buy Norenco's. They are forbiden fruit down here.

Edited by hercster