Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b casefeeder, what do I need for both small and large pistol cases?

OK, so checking out the 550b casefeeder and I've read several threads.

On Brian's ordering page there is the "casefeed assembly - small pistol", "casefeed assembly - large pistol", then a bunch of "casefeed caliber conversions", then "casefeed plate only - small pistol", "casefeed plate only - large pistol".

OK, so I reload 9mm, .38 special, .357 mag, .40 and .45 (and occassionally rifle, but forget that, I understand casefeeder doesn't work for rifle, and I've got a Rockchucker).

Do I buy;

1)casefeed assembly - small pistol

2) casefeed plate only - large pistol

3) .9mm conversion

4) .38 special conversion

5) .40 S&W conversion

6) .45 ACP conversion

Mainly the question is ... is the "casefeed assembly" for the small pistol case converted to the large pistol case by simply swapping out the "casefeed plate"?

Thanks!

Sorry if this was covered in a FAQ, I couldn't find it or missed reading it.

I have a 550 casefeeder with the large plate and load 38,45,357 and 44. As far as I know you need the small plate for the 40 and 9mm. The plate is the only thing you need to switch over for the feeder assembly from large to small. You will still need the casefeeder conversion kits for each caliber. This is different than the normal conversion kit with the powder funnel etc. Here's the link to Brian's store with that info...http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.550casefeed.html

I thought I understood this...but.....

I already load 9mm on a 550 and have everything needed for that (on a strong mount). I am now adding a case feeder with the intention of doing 9mm only.

So I know I need the small pistol case feeder itself. Do I also buy the $23.xx 9mm caliber conversion ?

Thanks. Sorry I'm so stupid. I usually do better.

Yes. You need the 9mm casefeeder conversion. This is an example of what you get. Each caliber has a different color. I think this one is a 38. See the link I set in post #2. Brian's page says that the feeder assembly does not come with conversion. All your answers are there.

post-22108-0-52612000-1415799558_thumb.j

For those that have a 550 case feeder: Does the shoulder bolt/bearing that rides the cam have a lot of side load on it? It seems that it would being off-center.

I don't have a 550 but I think it's similar to a 1050 in case insertion. The 1050 shoulder bolt for case insertion does take a lot of abuse when there's a jam and it does get bent pretty easily. The 550 bolt looks like it's a little shorter, so maybe not as prone to getting bent as the 1050.

For those that have a 550 case feeder: Does the shoulder bolt/bearing that rides the cam have a lot of side load on it? It seems that it would being off-center.

I don't have a 550 but I think it's similar to a 1050 in case insertion. The 1050 shoulder bolt for case insertion does take a lot of abuse when there's a jam and it does get bent pretty easily. The 550 bolt looks like it's a little shorter, so maybe not as prone to getting bent as the 1050.

Thanks!