Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1A powder, Hodgdon or IMR

Mbauer67

I am going to load up a large amount of ammo for an M1a, and I have used IMR4895 with the gun in the past with different bullets, and have not been totally pleased with the accuracy as of yet. Just wondering if I should give Hodgdon 4895 a try or just let it be with the IMR.

Looking for a good load to shoot out at longer distances for fun, 400-600 yds.

• 2 weeks later...

If you would like to save yourself some time and effort: with an M1A, buy one box of federal gold medal 168 or 175g ammo and shoot it. If that will not group send rifle to gunsmith. M14's are hard to get to shoot, even factory new rifles. With the M14/M1A there is a heck of a lot more to it then just a good barrel.

• 2 weeks later...

The standard load for the M1A is 41.5gr of either 4895, a Sierra 168, in a LC case. For years I ran Federal primers, then switched to Winchester, and lately to CCI. A well maintained rifle, with either of these powders, should shoot better than you can. The advice regarding buying a box of Federal Gold Medal and group testing is good advice to check your hand loading.

Are your groups bigger than they should be, or are you having fliers, especially if they are in a particular direction? High and low fliers at long range, with a dropping X count tell me a worn barrel.

I started shooting M1A rifles in the late 1970s. The National Guard team members that instructed me told me to maintain the gas cylinder I should just dribble a little Hoppes in the gas vent. I later learned that was not sufficient. If you don't have the tools to disassemble and clean the gas system, get them and use them. My groups do get bigger after awhile if I do not.

If the above do not resolve matters, it is probably bedding, and you need to send it to a 'smith.