Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Use of 92/96 series for IDPA etc... Opinions?

pcg

Opinions? I'm beginning to have second thoughts about competing with either my 92FS or 96. I shoot both quite accurately, but the safety and DA initial shot are slowing me down. I know I'm probably hunting split seconds, but...

Anyone else using either Beretta competitively? If so, I'd love to hear how you've compensated (or if you feel you've needed to!)

Pat

go with a D spring instead of the stock or factory main spring.

I do not engage the safety right before re-holstering. Basically, I use it as a decocker....flip it down, hammer drops, flip it back up, then holster. basically, the Beretta is a double action revolver while in the holster waiting for the beep.

about the only thing I ever did differently was with steel challenge type stages, I'd shoot the closest plate first, just to get the double action shot over with.

The Beretta has the capability to take you to the top of the game. It has a unique attribute of missing a lot of weight from the front of the slide, as a result, the muzzle does not dip as much with rapid fire (You really won't notice this unless your splits are ~.2 seconds or better). The trigger can and should be lightened substantially. As was said, a D spring helps.

For reference as to what a Beretta 92 can do, reference Ben Stoeger winning USPSA Production nationals for several years with it. It's only recently that he changed to a Tanfoglio Stock II. Even then, his score has only improved marginally (his opinion would likely be different on this). He has also practiced substantially since getting rid of the Beretta....

My suggestions: fiber optic, trigger work, mag release . . . Wilson Combat has a nice IDPA approved package for it.

Long story short... upgrade and practice. No reason to switch. I've owned a lot of different guns across all aspects of the market. All said and done, if I could only have 2 handguns . . . CZ and Beretta.

Now that I've hit the fabled 454 post number, this will be my last post on Enos forums. Goodbye all. I'm going out with a bang, .454 ain't a weak round.

Edited by Whoops!

Train harder.

There is no difference between a DA shot and a Glock trigger stroke from the holster unless you're shooting a gun with a department mandated heavy ass trigger and even then, both systems have their advantages and disadvantages.

Why are you using your safety on the 92? That is certainly not required for a double action gun where the mechanism is safely decocked to the full, hammer down position.

Going one step further, IF you did switch, what would you switch to that would alleviate your issues?

The Beretta has the capability to take you to the top of the game. It has a unique attribute of missing a lot of weight from the front of the slide, as a result, the muzzle does not dip as much with rapid fire (You really won't notice this unless your splits are ~.2 seconds or better). The trigger can and should be lightened substantially. As was said, a D spring helps.

For reference as to what a Beretta 92 can do, reference Ben Stoeger winning USPSA Production nationals for several years with it. It's only recently that he changed to a Tanfoglio Stock II. Even then, his score has only improved marginally (his opinion would likely be different on this). He has also practiced substantially since getting rid of the Beretta....

My suggestions: fiber optic, trigger work, mag release . . . Wilson Combat has a nice IDPA approved package for it.

Long story short... upgrade and practice. No reason to switch. I've owned a lot of different guns across all aspects of the market. All said and done, if I could only have 2 handguns . . . CZ and Beretta.

Now that I've hit the fabled 454 post number, this will be my last post on Enos forums. Goodbye all. I'm going out with a bang, .454 ain't a weak round.

Whoops, why depart on 454 posts? Ha!

Thanks to all for the comments. I've already added d-springs to both my 92 and 96FS, as well as extended mag releases and adjustable target sights. I'm planning to have trigger work done as I'd like 'em both to pull to around 3 lbs. That and fiber optic sights are on the horizon.

I wasn't aware Stoeger used a Beretta for a couple years. Very cool as he's up there in the pantheon.

My question arose after speaking to a far better IDPA shooter who marveled that I was shooting a gun with "so many disadvantages." He was suggesting a 1911 Sig Target stainless, and may have dumped some doubt on me at a moment when I'd had a less than stellar afternoon at the range.

Whoops, why depart on 454 posts? Ha!

Thanks to all for the comments. I've already added d-springs to both my 92 and 96FS, as well as extended mag releases and adjustable target sights. I'm planning to have trigger work done as I'd like 'em both to pull to around 3 lbs. That and fiber optic sights are on the horizon.

I wasn't aware Stoeger used a Beretta for a couple years. Very cool as he's up there in the pantheon.

My question arose after speaking to a far better IDPA shooter who marveled that I was shooting a gun with "so many disadvantages." He was suggesting a 1911 Sig Target stainless, and may have dumped some doubt on me at a moment when I'd had a less than stellar afternoon at the range.

When a 1911 shooter gives you advice and regards other guns as having major disadvantages, look away.

REAL shooters, guys with serious talent at the top of their game know that almost anything can be made to work well provided you practice with it and the gun is reliable. Some guns have better features than others but this does not make the shooter.

The 92 is far from being a disadvantage. There are reasons why the gun is not more frequently shot in the gun games but the quality of its design is NOT one of them.

Hey Beretta...how about some dovetailed front sights....................................

Thanks, Magzs. Think I'll double down & run against the timer for better speed. And accelerate getting the fiber optic sights & trigger work done.

You guys have been great (& reassuring) w/ the advice.