Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help! I inherited a 1988 RL550 Press

I posted this in the Misc. Beginners forum, but I think it is probably more appropriate here:

I inherited a 1988 RL550 from my brother who passed away in Sept. It had been sitting in a box in his garage for 10+ years. I would like to put it into use, but have no experience with progressive reloaders, only familiar with my old RCBS Rock Chucker single stage.

How does the RL550 (1988) compare to the current 550B?

Will the current components fit my old press? Tool Heads, Caliber Conversion Kits, Powder Dies, Index Pins, Powder Measures, Powder Funnels, etc?

What is the low primer feed tube (electronic) sensor all about? Is it an upgrade that is purchased? Is it a retro fit device?

Same question about the low powder measure indicator (electronic)?

Would Brian's "As It Should Be" upgrade kit fit my old press?

Any answers or advice you can give me would be appreciated. I'd like reload some additional calibers in addition to the 38/357 & 9mm setups that my brother had.

Thanks I appreciate your help. elh

I still use a 550 of about that vintage. The only thing I updated when the 550B came out was adding the failsafe rod and bracket to the press and you may need a different bell crank for the powder measure for the rod. This is a recommended addition.

As far as the other updates - meh. The low powder warning is not needed and I think it is a PIA.. The low primer warning is an easy add on and is something you might want to consider, but is not needed. You can use a plastic rod with a tape flag or marks to do the same thing, plus if you run out of primers the plastic rod will hold the primer bar open.

All the current Tool Heads, Caliber Conversion Kits, Powder Dies, Index Pins, Powder Measures and gizmos are compatible. BTW - the old powder measures with the spring assisted return are good, no need to update unless you just want the new style powder measure.

The only area I am not sure about is the primer bar. The new ones have a metal plate the the bar slides on, the old ones had the primer bar sliding on a machined surface directly on the aluminum frame. I have never had a real problem with old set up so I never have changed primer bars.

They are great presses, it should load lots of good ammo for you! :cheers:

I bought a 25 year old press that had been sitting in a drawer for at least 10 years. It was rusted, pins seized, and way out of alignment. I spent a couple of weeks cleaning, replacing parts, etc and it was better but not perfect. For $49, Dillon rebuilt it and upgraded most of the components. The press now works as well or better than my first 550. I'm close enough to save the shipping costs but it's definitely worth considering.