Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

my reloads wont function

joelaw99

im reloading .40 with 8.2g of hs-6 under a 135 rainier. the problem is malfunction after malfunction......

i get stove pipes, and any other jam you can think of.....

it happens with all my mags, and when i use factory ammo its flawless with any mag i cram in it....

i modified the lee carbide die by cutting off the steel at the bottom of the carbide button to allow it to size down farther on the brass===almost to the rim! i also use the factory crimp die and the case about 1/8" from bullet was running .419-20

the 1/8"part at the bullet was running .415-16

im thinking that with such a slow powder ive sized the entire case too small and theres not enough initial pressure to expand and seal the chamber.....?????

im running this in a glock 24 with 6 1/2"kkm barrel with 6 ports and a 7 chamber comp......

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE OF GREAT HELP!!!!!

thanks,,,,,joe :(

What kind of brass are you using? My crimp is .418 at the bullet. I am not familiar with that load data(powder or bullet), but your recoil system function may be different for this load. You are also venting a lot of gas. I think a larger bullet may create a little more pressure than the 135 because it stays in the barrel longer. What is your OAL?

Really not enough data to isolate the issue between your gun and mods, and your load data. What are the specs of factory loads? Size? OAL?

Since you are not using the EGW resizing die, you are still only resizing to factory specs with a standard Lee die. The fact that you are going all the way to the case head doesn't mean that you are making them too small. You may want to try a lower weight recoil spring. The comp may be venting so much gas the the slide doesn't have enough energy to overcome the recoil spring. Try 4-5 lbs lighter. Flex may have better info on spring weights for open glocks.

when i shoot win. white box=about 170 pr out of my 6 1/2 kkm the gun runs flawless, and thats with a 17 or 15 # spring, they both run fine. i get a little more slide velocity on the 15# though.

i thought the regular dies size the brass to .421, and the egw sizes it to .420...my factorie(modified)lee sizes the entire case to .420 all the way to the rim. my buddy chris has the egw and i think his sizes to .420

i know the button on the carbide sizer is tapered, so it stands to reason the lower you get the button over the case the smaller it will be...i also turned down the top of my shell holder to let the die go further down the case too.....

white box runs fine 180 blazer runs fine,,,has to be my loads, i just dont know whats up with them?????????

What's your OAL? Have you tried matching the Blazer OAL to your reloads? Have you tried different OAL's to find what feeds best? Have you tried different bullets or nose profiles? (I know 135's for the .40 are not all that common.)

I'm with the drop spring weight a couple of pounds crowd. At the very least it will increase your slide velocity, which, imho, is a good thing.

Are your mag springs fresh? Feed lips, OK?

That's about all I can think of...

Ray

9.3G WAS A LITTLE SCARY!!!!! THE MAX LOAD IS 135 @ 10.2G=1322FPS IN THE BOOK

REALITY======135G@9.3G=1475 OUT OF MY GUN, SHOT 5 OVER THR CHRONO AND ALL5 WERE ALMOST IDENTICAL,,,,,,

FOR .38SUPER VELOCITIES AND PRESSURE LIKE THAT IS FINE, BUT FOR 40 ITS IN SCARYLAND...AND I DONT WANT A RETURN TRIP!!!!!

MY O.A.L. WAS 1.115,,,IM SURE IF I WOULD HAVE LOADED THEM OUT TO 1.125 OR 1.135 I WOULD HAVE HAD A SIGNIFICANT DROP IN SPEED AND PRESSURE

I knew the book max was 10.2 and they recommend reduce by only 10% for starting load then work up. I would not load then that short, so thats probably alot of your problems there. I've also never loaded that light of a bullet in 40 either, never had a reason to try it.

Guest Larry Cazes

Since you are trying to generate as much gas as possible to work that comp, why not increase your OAL to as long as will fit in the mags and function. Is the chamber reamed long enough to allow you to load longer? Longer OAL should mean less pressure, better feeding, and more room in the case for powder which translates to more gas. As already mentioned, a lighter recoil spring might help as well.

MY O.A.L. WAS 1.115,,,IM SURE IF I WOULD HAVE LOADED THEM OUT TO 1.125 OR 1.135 I WOULD HAVE HAD A SIGNIFICANT DROP IN SPEED AND PRESSURE

Joe.....pssst....lean over here...I got something to share with ya....

Increase your OAL!!!!

:):):)

Hi Joe,

Try 1.125" as your OAL (+) or (-) .003". The crimp is around .420". Try a 15lb. spring with three coils cut off, you want the breech to open wide, so don't use a stock 17lb. spring in an Open gun. Go to Matt Kartozian's CGR for more data:

http://www.custom-glock.com/glocktech.html and http://www.sportshooter.com/gssf/tinkering..._perfection.htm . Joe does your gun jam with all your mags? check the spring in the mag. Email me if you are still having problems, don't go to a heavier bullet 135gr. or 155gr. should work fine in a .40cal Open Glock. IMHO if you are going to shoot a 180gr. bullet then switch to a Limited gun.

DVC,

Mell

thanks guys, ironically i played with the dies today before i read your posts.

i backed the sizer off and went out to .420, i loaded them to 1.125, and i was going to cut three coils off the 15# spring i have in the gun!!!

didnt cut the coils yet, but i ran a mag of this new load thru it and it was flawless and dead flat.

u guys think cutting a few coils will help with the ejection, even when it runs good the brass only goes about a foot away but is in a neat little pile....im thinking not enough slide velocity????????

Guest Larry Cazes
u guys think cutting a few coils will help with the ejection, even when it runs good the brass only goes about a foot away but is in a neat little pile....im thinking not enough slide velocity????????

Did you chrono the load? be sure that the load is making major PF before messing with the gun. Might just need a little more powder if its still minor PF.

Guest Larry Cazes

IF there are ZERO signs of excessive pressure, I would bump up the charge until you make at least 170pf. It will increase slide velocity which should improve ejection and it will give you some extra margin at the chrono.

thanks for the input guys......i finally fixed it. the culprit was as i thought. the sizing die was too low, making the od of the case too small and the chamber wasnt sealing. changed it to get .423 at the base just above the extractor groove and a .420 crimp and shot 50 more rounds tonight and it ran flawless.....i also took those three coils off the 15# spring and now its ejecting back about 30deg.and several feet away instead of dribbling out!!! oh yeah, FLEX, i increased my O.A.L. from 1.115 to 1.125

thanks again,,,,,joe

• 3 weeks later...