Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Shadow modified to be an Open and Limited gun?

lojak

Hi all,

I really like my Shadow but growing bored using it in Production. After a lot of thought, I find myself preferring the ergonomics of the Shadow to a 2011 style pistol, and found myself thinking about the Shadow as the base for an Open and Limited (or Standard as we call it in Canada) gun. I've searched these forums and others, and while I've found some info, I'm curious what others may think or have done? The limited availibility of the Czechmate, and my lack of experience with handling the TS, is not convincing me that platform is the right one for me. Again, I'm concerned about ergonomics. From a caliber perspective, I want to stick with 9mm, whether major in Open or minor in Limited/Standard (gasp). I'm not that good a competitor that it will matter (health reasons) so I have no qualms there.

Is there anyone here who has built and run a Shadow as a Limited and/or a Open gun? I'm willing to consider multiple uppers, and find myself thinking of an optic mounted in the rear sight dovecut (such as a Burris with an aftermarket dovecut adaptor). Otherwise, any feedback in general?

Thanks!

I think I did a post similar to yours a year or so ago. I REALLY like the SP01 Shadow, fits _perfect_ in hand, and the tactical sport just felt so big in comparison. So I pursued several directions.

1) I had a Shadow slide done with milled in Deltapoint optic, and MagnaPort Quad ports done. This upper is beyond fun, and anytime I wanted to switch to open minor, I just put it on a shadow or SP01 frame and have fun (with big mags) - shooting Open Minor. I wasn't appreciably faster than production, as I didn't have the hours in with the red dot, but the potential is there, and it makes shots 15 yards+ a breeze.

2) Turns out Tanfoglio isn't far off on feel, was able to get a Tanfoglio Small frame Open build from another here, it is FUN. Turns out this was a shorter path to a open build rather than trying to do a real open gun based on the SP01 Shadow, since the tanfoglio frame was already drilled for optics, and still basically takes CZ75 magazines. I need to spend more time with this one.

3) I got a Czechmate :-) What is wild is the grip reduction actually makes it feel in hand to me, to be closer to CZ75 vs Tactical Sport (which its based on). Advantage of the Czechmate is running Open Major (9 Major) vs the 9 Minor PF I do with the shadow/deltapoint slide. (Major isn't recommended in that setup as it doesn't have benefit of compensator to mitigate beating).

Now with the Czechmate, I can run major or minor that gun, so I'm using the shadow/deltapoint slide far less for red dot fun - almost collecting dust. If you are interested in it, PM for details.

My general observation is that the delta point is fun, but the cmore optic is a lot bigger so I find that dot faster on the draw. But either of them once I have the dot they are fast. I did try a burris red dot in a dovetail adapter, but for me that felt like the optic was riding high vs milled in delta point, or the cmore where I use the 90 degree mount to keep the dot low. Hope some of this helpful.

Edited by trgt

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

trgt: I'm located in Canada so the cost to do the export/import would be rather excessive, unfotunately.

kneelingatlas: Great thread, gave me lots of ideas..

At this point I'm thinking of converting my Shadow to Open, given the rare appearance of the Czechmate in Canada (it happens, just not often, and not predictably). SA trigger group, magwell and comp, which I can source here. The only remaining decision is whether to use a slide-mounted optic, or a side-mounted optic with the frame drilled.

Edited by lojak

I have been asking around at various authorized dealers for CZ in Canada, and the answer has been the same: none in stock, not sure when next one will be in, availability sporadic. As for a barrel, that won't be an issue because the gunsmith I will be using has access to those and can acquire those quickly. But you're right, most spare parts are a PITA to acquire in Canada.

Cheers,