Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 45ACP case gauge question

I recently started reloading 45ACP. About 10% of the rounds "fail" the case gauge: The case rim stops the case from going in all the way, but once "clicked" in with force, the case can be spun around in the gauge freely. It seems to be not brass brand specific. Is this something common or is there a problem somewhere?

So far all "problem" rounds cycled just fine.

Thanks!

Fired brass can have some nicks in the rim from ejection causing the click sound. As long as it runs you are good. It's the rds that you must force or can't force that fail.

You are absolutely correct. The reason that I asked what the OP was loading is , as you probably know, if he is loading lead, there could be some lube that hunks up and stops the round from fully gauging.

G

Flip it around and try to gauge it rim end first. (just to see if it's the rim that's hanging up) It's probably nicks and dings on the rim.

I toss those rounds in a "practice ammo" box. Probably shot a couple thousand rounds of it in practice, and

never had even one cause a problem.

Edited by open17

Yep! Same thing happens when going in backwards. What surprised me though, is that after the initial "click", all move around just fine. (Until the get stuck halfway of courseI) Im loading 230gr fmj hornady.

Get a magnifying glass and look close at the top edge of the case gauge hole. Sound like there might be a tiny nick

or a little burr on the gauge. Wouldn't take much--even a .001 burr would cause the "click then spin free" that

you are seeing.