Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Linkage broken....

blaese490

i have a Rock Island 3.5" 9mm BUG gun that i just started shooting to get ready for a back up gun match... with only 50ish rounds through it the barrel linkage broke.... anyone ever experience this and why would it happen? I'm hoping it was a fluke but any feedback is welcomed! Its Brand new out of the box

What does the fracture surface look like? You will probably need something stronger than a magnifying glass. Look for one of the following, or a mix of them: Fatigue failure will show marks like wave marks on a beach. This is the result of cyclical loadings well below what would cause plastic deformation. Fatigue is not supposed to happen in properly quenched and tempered steels loaded below something called the "Load Limit." Steel and Titanium are the only two common metals that show this quality.

Brittle failure will be a low energy absorption fracture mode. The fracture surface looks crystalline. If brittle, I'd suspect the wrong alloy, or not tempered after quenching.

Ductile fracture has a fibrous look to the fracture surface.

Fracture surface is frequently a mix of two of these. The fact that it happened after just 50 shots says it probably is not fatigue. My experience in manufacturing was that the wrong material frequently gets into the supply chain, or heat treating gets done wrong, or doesn't happen at all. It would be hard to check whether the parts were fit right after the link broke.

• 5 weeks later...