Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will this work?

usmc1974

OK,I back again. Will this work I want to zero my rifle at 300 yards. My Ballistics Calculator tells me my bullet drops 12.6 inches at 400 and 33.6 at 500. What I plan to do is since I do have 300 yards to shoot. I was going to put a 6 inch target low on my paper then put another 6 inch up 12.6 inches up center to center and another 6 inch target up 33.6 inches up higher still center to center. set my scope up 12.6 inches (3moa) an then shoot at my 300 yard target to see if my bullet hit the 400 yard target then do the same for the 500 yard target.(33.6 up 6.4 moa)

Edited by usmc1974

Sounds good to me. What I really want to know is why you want to go with a 300yd zero when running a magnified optic?

I don't have to make any changes to hit at 25 to 300 yards and they use to start at 300 yards now they start at 400 Thanks B

Edited by usmc1974

I see now. Sorry, my confusion and unintentionally rude sounding post above was caused by my brain always thinking in terms of 3gun.

me too love to shoot 3 gun went to the 2014 pandemic

Edited by usmc1974

• 2 weeks later...

OK,I back again. Will this work I want to zero my rifle at 300 yards. My Ballistics Calculator tells me my bullet drops 12.6 inches at 400 and 33.6 at 500. What I plan to do is since I do have 300 yards to shoot. I was going to put a 6 inch target low on my paper then put another 6 inch up 12.6 inches up center to center and another 6 inch target up 33.6 inches up higher still center to center. set my scope up 12.6 inches (3moa) an then shoot at my 300 yard target to see if my bullet hit the 400 yard target then do the same for the 500 yard target.(33.6 up 6.4 moa)

If I understand what you are saying, you are intending on your 300 yard target telling you what your bullet drop is by adjusting your scope and shooting all rounds at 300. If this is what you plan, you wi be measuring the scope adjustments and not the true flight path of the bullet.

A better measure would be to sight your rifle in, and without adjusting your scope, shoot at different distances while aiming dead center to see what your bullet actually drops at those distances.

Sounds like a turret tracking test which you can do at any distance. And a lot easier if you have a mil reticle. Fire a shot at 100yd, adjust turret up 5moa/mil, maintain previous aiming point, fire 2nd shot, difference between 2 shots should be your adjustment.

Something about what you want to try isnt working in my head. I think you are trying to work with a simple arc bullet path when its really a complex arc. Where is the apex of the arc when you have a 300 yd zero but are dialing for 400 or 500 yds? Your plan might work for 100yd zero but i dont THINK it will at 300. In retrospect, i cant see it working even at 100. However i may be all wet & its proven i am dumb as dirt so......report back would you?