Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xtreme 165 gn?

gransport

Anyone tried Xtreme's 165 gn rn? I ordered 500 to try out.

Was going to try working a load up with WSF as it's all I have. My WSF load for 147's is 3.9 at 1.130. I'll have to plunk test this new bullet to see if that OAL will work, but will probably start the load around 3.4 gn. Need to hit 787 fps to get 130 PF. I'm also willing to tune recoil springs if needed, just to see if this bullet is workable.

Any thoughts? Am I doing anything crazy trying this bullet with WSF?

thanks!

The bullets measure .733 and they look huge :surprise:

I did a push test in my CZ barrel and the max length came out at 1.165, so you can load plenty long. I'm going to start at 1.140 because I know that length will feed good in my gun with RN bullets.

Couldn't find any published data for 165's with WSF, so I'm starting low. Loaded up 10 each at 3.1gn, 3.3gn, 3.5gn and 3.7gn. With 147 plated bullets, I was at 3.9gn for 131 PF.

Hopefully I can make out to chrono soon and well see what happens.

I got out and shot some initial rounds across the chrono. Here's what I got.

CZ AccuShadow

OAL was 1.140 on all.

Temp about 55F

Powder - WSF

3.1gn - Avg. 740fps = 122.1 PF

3.3gn - Avg. 770fps = 127.0 PF

3.5gn - Avg. 781fps = 128.8 PF

3.7gn - Avg. 818fps = 134.9 PF

I loaded up 200 at 3.6gn and shot a 185 round match in Circleville today. I was pretty happy with how they performed. No feeding issues or malfunctions. They shot nice and soft, and I didn't notice the gun running sluggish or anything. I was only 40 degrees with a 20 mph wind, so noticing anything but the cold was difficult :-)

Anyway, I like these enough to mess around some more. May play with the OAL a little and do some group testing.

• 3 weeks later...