Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Luth AR MBA vs TACMOD stock?

JPeel

I am currently using a UBR stock on my 3gun seekins and was considering trying a TACMOD stock, just for grins. But I picked up a Luth AR MBA off a prize table and it looks similar to, but maybe not as robust as the TACMOD. So for those who have used either or both, what are the pros and cons of these?

Edited by JPeel

If you already have the stock why not slap it on and try stout for a while, then you can tell us what you think.

Wow. Why didn't I think of that.....

I bet I could ask this on Facebook or AR15 dot com and get similar answers :)

So you have this cookie, it looks like a good cookie, but you don't want to taste the cookie, because it may not taste good enough, and you think you might want to sell the cookie to someone else? The guy who made the cookie only gave it to you so you could try it and give others your opinion of the cookie.

I am not a member on ar15.com or Facebook, but it would make sense that no matter where you posted that question you would still get a similar response, I guess there are chowderheads like me everywhere.

Or, I will trade you a dozen cookies for the Luth.

I'm thinking Mr. Peel is wondering whether or not to sell the Luth stock. :P

Not really. Just thought it would be nice to get some feedback from actual users, instead of sales pitch from a website.

I haven't seen TACMOD in person, but looks interesting. Looks cold, but still like the design.

I would love to see a place to grab like UBR has when you take the hinge doors open, as I use that to grab it out of barrels or to throw into barrels.

I am planning on buying the Luth MBA stock instead of PRS on another build just to try it out, but this thing called money for projects is getting tight.

You have the stock in your posesion, why not try it out and see if you like it. Your personal opinions will be far more valuable to you than the opinion of some dude on the Internet. A stock is a personal fit item anyway, much like a pair of shoes, do you want what's in fashion or what feels good? My offer to trade for cookies still stands, I like the UBR stock, and the Luth looks like it would also adjust well to my needs.

I got the Luth AR for a project rifle that I have not got started on. While the TACMOD looks similar it seems to be quite different in several ways. The most important would seem to be that the Luth AR goes over an existing rifle length tube and buffer whereas the TACMOD contains a custom carbine length tube and requires the corresponding carbine buffer and spring.

Because of this difference, there is likely a difference in the OAL available and the price of the TACMOD is correspondingly higher.

You have the stock in your posesion, why not try it out and see if you like it. Your personal opinions will be far more valuable to you than the opinion of some dude on the Internet. A stock is a personal fit item anyway, much like a pair of shoes, do you want what's in fashion or what feels good? My offer to trade for cookies still stands, I like the UBR stock, and the Luth looks like it would also adjust well to my needs.

Stop trying to confuse people with logic. Why would anyone want to use a product they have in hand rather than ask strangers for opinions on forums? I like cookies too.

Secret recipe C.C. specifically formulated to please adult palettes. They match up perfectly with an IPA or Pale ale, or a nice red wine. Whole grain to appeal to the healthy side, but no kale.

I like high end bourbon, and kale.

Do your cookies give you the munchies?

..... So for those who have used either or both, what are the pros and cons of these?

I didn't ask "will I like it" or "which one is best". I asked for feedback from people who have actually used either or both of the stocks. Sorry for coming into your domain and trying to get some feedback on products that I haven't had the opportunity to use.

Haven't used the Luth. Do have the TacMod and like it, a lot. It is heavy but I don't know the Luth's weight. Only problem I encountered was when combined with a JP side charge upper (so I could make use of the cheekpiece), I had to relieve a channel on the inside of the cheekpiece itself to allow the charging handle "guide" to move under it smoothly. I have the butt plate rotated a bit to fit MY shoulder pocket and it's collapsed all the way to match my short arms. I set it up to fit when prone and scrunch down into it for anything else. Very solid stock, adjusts every direction I needed. I'm old and slow but hit stuff at 300 to 350 in matches pretty well, with a 1X. At the local range, I've hit at 500 (more than once) and couldn't have done it without the TacMod. No hitches in installation.

I love my Luth stock. I run the high LaRue scope mount and the adjustable cheek piece works very well. Adjustable butt stock is nice for different size shooters plus the light weight keeps my rifle balanced. I have run it all year with no problems at all. I expected it to be a good stock but it exceeds my expectations in every way. I can not compare to the Tacmod stock but I like it better than my UBR and PRS.