Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reduing recoil of G19 within IDPA PRD

Rikarin

I asked this question to GlockTalk too and hopefully, you gurus can help me out....

My hands are big for "petitte asian female" and I am working on grip strength very much. Still, almost everytime I shoot my left hand slips off from grip Only way not to is to grip stronger with my right hand, which leads to you know, shots going to down-left.

So far I tried

1) many different way of gripping - nothing works and I settle with Matt Barkett's way.

2) skateboard tape - ending up shredding my palm

3) will try that rubber grip sleeve thing.

My questions are:

What can I do to my Glock to reduce recoil? I put 3.5 connector, thats about it now.

Does reloading make it easy?

Anything else I should try?

Thanks bunches!

Try A-Grip (available at http://www.cpwsa.com). Also, how are you gripping the gun? Standard IPSC grip, thumb over thumb, finger on front of trigger guard? If a standard IPSC grip, consider some sort of non-slip material underneath the trigger guard. I know when I shoot, that I need traction underneath the trigger guard.

Many will follow with technique comments and advice.

Good luck.

*QUOTE"

2) skateboard tape - ending up shredding my palm

If you rub two pieces of skateboard tape together it reduces the sharpness of the grit.

"QUOTE"

Does reloading make it easy?

Yes, with reduced loads.

"QUOTE"

What can I do to my Glock to reduce recoil?

Install a tungston guide rod(USPSA), more weight will reduce recoil.

"QUOTE"

Anything else I should try?

Lots and lots of practice.:)

Try A-Grip (available at http://www.cpwsa.com). Also, how are you gripping the gun? Standard IPSC grip, thumb over thumb, finger on front of trigger guard? If a standard IPSC grip, consider some sort of non-slip material underneath the trigger guard. I know when I shoot, that I need traction underneath the trigger guard.

Many will follow with technique comments and advice.

Good luck.

Oooh I am so happy to know that! Because I was thinking "maybe if I can somehow hold onto the trigger guard from beneath and then "oh, maybe tha'ts no-no"

I use left thum sticking straight forward to the target, Right thumb stiking up.

I would definitely consider a Guide rod and spring weight change. I would suggest a 13lb spring and mayber a Tungsten Guide rod. This alone should change a lot of the percieved recoil. If you are going to reload try the heaviest bullet available to you (147 gr) and see how that goes.

Good Luck, Craig

Look, I hate to tell you this, but if you are conditioned to IDPA rules, like your thread title says, then besides A Grip or some kind of grip tape there's not much you can do.

I feel there's a minimum of strength required to fire a handgun, and that minimum is defined by being able to fire with a relaxed non death grip without having to reposition your hands.

I humbly believe that although what people suggested in this thread are good options, you'd be best served by training and developing your gripping strength and practicing a lot. :)

I just reread your post.

Forget about the grip tape. You need to seriously consider the possibility that the G19 is simply too large for your hands. Don't take it personally, I have smallish hands for a man and I can't shoot the G20/21 worth a darn because of it. The fact of the matter is that there's nothing you're going to add to the gun that's going to magically reduce the size of the grip. The only thing the grip tape will do is make a too large grip .040"+ larger.

If you're not married to the gun, consider the XD. It definitely feels smaller to me circumferentially. You also could consider getting a grip job done on the G19 to try and reduce it, but I just don't know how much mileage you can expect. Robar, Defensive Edge, and Ron Avery are all in the Glock grip reduction business. Expect to pay anywhere from $175 to $250 for such a service.

Finally, there is the 1911 with a grip reduction and thin grip panels and a short trigger. That's just about as small as you're going to get. It's going to be a lot more expensive than the Glock, but I think it's as far as you can reasonably go in grip reduction.

You could try reducing your loads, but all that's doing is masking the problem. My guess would be that you're having just as much trouble reloading the gun as shooting it. And that's important when you're only playing with 10 round mags.

Try any of the grip enhancers like pro-grip or cramer's powder grip on your hands. After that, try experimenting with different grip pressures. I've found I also tend to have the same problem you're having if I grip the glock too much. ;)

Good luck.

Look, I hate to tell you this, but if you are conditioned to IDPA rules, like your thread title says, then besides A Grip or some kind of grip tape there's not much you can do.

I feel there's a minimum of strength required to fire a handgun, and that minimum is defined by being able to fire with a relaxed non death grip without having to reposition your hands.

I humbly believe that although what people suggested in this thread are good options, you'd be best served by training and developing your gripping strength and practicing a lot. :)

Nod nod.... yes, I am currently married to Poweball. working on the grip!

Try any of the grip enhancers like pro-grip or cramer's powder grip on your hands. After that, try experimenting with different grip pressures. I've found I also tend to have the same problem you're having if I grip the glock too much. ;)

Good luck.

Hmmm.. interesting! You said that happens if you grip too hard.... hm.. maybe that could be it.... I will try different pressure next time. Thank you

I just reread your post.

Forget about the grip tape. You need to seriously consider the possibility that the G19 is simply too large for your hands. Don't take it personally, I have smallish hands for a man and I can't shoot the G20/21 worth a darn because of it. The fact of the matter is that there's nothing you're going to add to the gun that's going to magically reduce the size of the grip. The only thing the grip tape will do is make a too large grip .040"+ larger.

(cut)

You could try reducing your loads, but all that's doing is masking the problem. My guess would be that you're having just as much trouble reloading the gun as shooting it. And that's important when you're only playing with 10 round mags.

Yes, this is very valid. I am suspecting this but didn't want to admit. I tried XD9 and diidn't like it but my friend's XD40 with trigger job and all done felt reall good. XD has better grip which fit in my hand prety well. I am reluctant to swich since I am preactcing with G19 so much.. but am open to the option.

Someone suggested to buy reload from Atlant Arms and I wll try thier load.

Thank you for honest suggestion.

Question.... what do you mean that I might be having reloading problem? I was told reloading/draw were pretty fast but fact I don't know if I have problems is problem, isn't it?

Rikarin,

I was inferring that if you're having trouble holding onto the gun (which is obviously the case) that you're probably having equal trouble getting to the mag button.

The fact that you're getting torn up by the grip tape is a pretty good indication that the grip is flat out too large for you. Why continue making an investment into something that clearing isn't working for you? It's like holding onto a back stock investment. Sell before it hits zero, not after. ;)

Rikarin,

I was inferring that if you're having trouble holding onto the gun (which is obviously the case) that you're probably having equal trouble getting to the mag button.

The fact that you're getting torn up by the grip tape is a pretty good indication that the grip is flat out too large for you. Why continue making an investment into something that clearing isn't working for you? It's like holding onto a back stock investment. Sell before it hits zero, not after. ;)

Oh indeed :) Not able to reach is the norm for me and I never thought it is "problem" ;)

I was flipping the gun when I used to shoot stationally only. Now doing that while moving gets very difficult. So, dryfiring hell out of it to press the release with left hand. Seems to me works OK and solved another problem - getting grip right well/quick after reloading.

I don't really have many choice in guns. DA/SA totally messes me up so either Glock or XD but XD (if I'm not mistaken) is not allowed in USPSA. Sigh.

A person from GlockTalk siad 2003's High Ladies in IDPA used G19 and she is 5''1'...So seems like not impossible task. And I ordered reload from Atlanta Arms.. if this works for me, I have to find "time share" reloader in my area otherwise I will go broke....

I will report back once I shoot with reloads! :)