Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B Casefeeder Adjustment Question

I have had the optional casefeeder attached to my 550B since they first came out. I am now having a minor issue and would like ideas or suggestions before I call Dillon on Monday. The plunger is not pushing the case far enough into the shellplate so that, now, the sizing die bumps onto the top edge of the case. It does not happen all the time, but more than in the past so something has changed over the years.

The roller bearing goes as far forward in the slot as possible but the case is just not getting shoved all the way into the shellplate slot. Note that the cam is pulled back all the way so the roller bearing has freedom to move as far forward in the slot as possible.

I am a little puzzled, any ideas? Could the front of the plunger itself be worn just enough so that it does not have the length it used to have, therefore it is unable (at full extension) to push the case as far as it used to? I can not picture how this kind of wear might occur but looking for possibilities.

I thought about stretching the spring but , with the roller bearing already as far forward as possible, this would have no effect other than pushing it to the same position harder.

Edited by nhglyn

Just took a peek at my 550 case feeder and it's actually pretty well cut and dried. I recommend you take it apart and make sure there's nothing in the spring assy to restrict plunger travel like a spent primer or crud buildup in the guide and check the tightness of the bolt / condition of the roller bearings that follow the cam. Not a whole lot else to cause trouble. Let us know what you come up with.

Ron

Just took a peek at my 550 case feeder and it's actually pretty well cut and dried. I recommend you take it apart and make sure there's nothing in the spring assy to restrict plunger travel like a spent primer or crud buildup in the guide and check the tightness of the bolt / condition of the roller bearings that follow the cam. Not a whole lot else to cause trouble. Let us know what you come up with.

Ron

I just took mine apart to clean the crud out of the spring assembly & plunger. I usually clean it out once per year. I bought mine when they first came out as well in 2006.

I have cleaned everything as mentioned. The roller assembly does go all the way forward to the end of the channel and the case still does not quite go all the way into the shellplate. The "handymans fix" that would solve the problem would be to put a layer or two of duct tape on the front of the plunger. That would give an additional couple of mm's of push to the case. But.......should I really have to do that?

When you say 'bumps the top edge of the case' is it curling the edge over. Mine will do funky things if the shellplate is too loose. Did you switch calibers and forget to change the shellplate? Are your dies loose? You've been running this thing for 8 yrs - the cases shouldn't just stop short of home.