Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Practice Loads?

Bill Nesbitt

It seems that if I want to continue shooting my 686x6 PC 38 super then I will need to load to major power factor. <_<

I don't want to abuse my gun any more than I have to. Does anybody practice with sub power factor loads then just before the match shoot a few major loads to "tune up"? I wonder how if would affect the "timing" of your shooting? I shot a few Bill drill major loads yesterday. I guess if you see what you need to see it will be all right. :rolleyes:

Bill Nesbitt

Bill.

I use 625 for USPSA and IF I shoot any IDPA with a Revolver it will be the 610, I always shoot Major loads just use cheaper components for practice vs. Major match loads. (even before IDPA went with PF in ESR I still shot Major in the 610 just because that was what I was used to )

Can't answer your question about 686, but if it was me I would load me up some 145,000pf and get used to that and then step up to the 165,000 two or three weeks before your major match.

My 646 4 inch gun (a little lighter than your 686) is uncomfortable with 165,000 PF loads, I can shoot it and can control it but I really don't want to have too much arthritis in my wrist in my "remember when" days ;) so that is why the 610 will get the use.

Hope that helps !

SAM

Bill,

bring your loads to major PF as soon as you can ( assuming your going through an adjustment period). shoot the same PF in practice as you would a match. CONSISTENCY is everything in this game. Keep your loads the same, therefore there's nothing to distract your concentration (meaning: recoil ) when you "load , make ready". good luck!!

dan

Hi Fellas,

I think there is another school of thought to be considered for practice loads. Light loads make for a much more pleasurable practice session and cause less flinch to be developed. The latest winner of the steel challange practiced for the entire year before with an Airsoft. We have gotton professional opinions on both sides of the question. Dave Hearth B)