Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 Failure to Extract

Kraj

I have a Glock that had some issues the past couple of matches. Most of the time it runs without a problem but it would fail to extract the case after it was fired and then try to feed the next one out of the mag. I've never had feeding issues with the gun.

When it jams i cant get it out by racking the slide. Its happened 3 times. The first I had to use a squib rod to get it out, the second i pryed it out with my pocket knife and the 3rd time i used a small screw driver.

I dont have any pictures because it has only happened at matches and i couldnt tell the brass from the rest on the ground.

All the brass that got stuck went into the chamber like it should which makes me think that the brass isnt to blame but I really dont know.

Today I did 3 passes with a bore snake at the start of the day and it happened twice over the 150 round match. The only other time it happened I had not cleaned the gun for 3 months because I couldn't get it apart and a few passes with a boresnake eliminated the problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ive never case gauged my ammo and since it only happened 3 out of 4k round I dont know if that would help solve it.

The gun was bought new and has about 4k rounds of 9 major thru it.

KKM gun smith barrel (from SJC as part of a kit)

5 port sjc comp

14 lb spring

115 MG JHP

7.5 gn AutoComp

1.15" OAL CCI SPP

173 PF

Also, check your chamber for a small rust spot or pit. That will grab the case too. A bore snake will not get this out. You'll need a brush with a little piece if very fine steel wool on a drill to spin it out. Don't over do it!

This is a common problem with AR's built with cheap aftermarket barrels too.

Edited by captain037

Don't ever allow your slide to close on a round that is in the chamber. The extractors are designed to have the case slide up behind the claw from the bottom. Forcing the extractor over a case head will damage it. It's called a bubba load for a reason. You can get away with it in most rimfires because they are designed with a lot more movement in the extractor