Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help my 617 needs a target crown

downlow411

If the crown is off center to begin with (most of them are) then you are only making a bigger off center crown with the screw method. Using the proper pilot with a cutter is the best way to get it centered to the bore. I recut the forcing cone and crown on every revo I get, new or used right off the bat. I have found over the years nearly all of them are off a little to a lot. I have bought guns for cheap that wouldn't shoot a decent group at all, then after recutting they are fine. Very seldom is the rifling in the middle the problem unless it's a bulged barrel. The beginning and end are nearly always the culprit for leading and large group size.

For the muzzle crown cutters, what angle have you found to work best?

I recently ordered the 11 degree forcing cone reamer and brass lap, so I'll try that first and see if I can see a difference.

Thanks, and 45 degrees makes sense for a 627 with it's recessed "Precision" crown (which is not anywhere near precise!).

Maybe next month after I mow a few more lawns and get my allowance! :rolleyes:

An 11-degree reamer is more of a facing cutter. I use a 45-degree reamer for crowning.

Brownells sells a set for $63 that includes the cutter, brass pilot, and handle: 080-930-223. Be sure to use cutting oil.

just priced it ,,,north of 90.00 not including shipping, is this the correct number

An 11-degree reamer is more of a facing cutter. I use a 45-degree reamer for crowning.

Brownells sells a set for $63 that includes the cutter, brass pilot, and handle: 080-930-223. Be sure to use cutting oil.

just priced it ,,,north of 90.00 not including shipping, is this the correct number
Carmony quoted you the dealer pricing, the regular price is $95

The kit for .22 basic chamfer kit is #080-494-022AN. Basic 38 - .45 chamfer kit #080-479-451AN. Note - these will recut the forcing cone and face off the back of the barrel but not crown the muzzle. The muzzle crown is another tool #080-588-500AN, Then get the pilots you want for that one. You will need a handle for the cutter too. For more information go to www.brownells.com

The kit for .22 basic chamfer kit is #080-494-022AN. Basic 38 - .45 chamfer kit #080-479-451AN. Note - these will recut the forcing cone and face off the back of the barrel but not crown the muzzle. The muzzle crown is another tool #080-588-500AN, Then get the pilots you want for that one. You will need a handle for the cutter too. For more information go to www.brownells.com

Thanks Warren.

Just an FYI -

The Basic kit does not contain the 90 degree chamfer cutter to face off the back of the forcing cone, but the Intermediate Kit does. Both the Basic and Intermediate kits have been out of stock for quite a while. However brownells has all of the piece parts in stock and if you order them separately it is only a couple bucks more than ordering a pre-assembled kit.

This page should have all of the items you need to do al the work.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/barrel-tools/chamfering-tools/index.htm?pid=514

As a reminder - if you click on the Brownells banner here on BE to get to Browells, BE gets a little something.