Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Corn Cob

jstagn

I have been using a 20/40 grit of walnut media. I find it to produce a lot of fines(dust) in normal operations. I have to keep a towel on the top cover of the tumbler when walnut medias is used whether it is clean or getting pretty dirty.

Do you all find this fine grain(blast media) CCob grit to produce less dust compared to walnut?? I ask for several reasons:

• when I pour media(new or used) from one container to the nex, t outofdoors, the dust produced from Walnut media is pretty significant. The dust is fines which are always present in a 20/40 mix.
  • I tried some of the larger grit corn cob from Walmart (litter materiial) and found its dusting to be negligible as you would expect for a much larger particle size grit.
  • I also found the larger grit corn cobit to clean dirty pistol brass as well and polish quicker and better(NuFinish aditive as standard)from 9mm to 45COLT with no discernible dust at all. The issue of course is the possible plugging of primer holes which I didn't find to be a problem.
  • The ZORO "blast media" is a good one so I'm buying 40# as well. It's cheaper than Walmart litter.

Thanks for your quick help. Good luck on tumbling!!

Chuck

For those interested here is full spec description of said product. Chuck Total

6YY26_AS01.JPG
Blast Media,Corn Cob,20 to 40 Grit

Blast Media, Corn Cob, 20 to 40 Grit, Nominal Dia. Micron Range 425 to 1000, Nominal Dia. Range 0.0167 In. to 0.0393 In., US Sieve 30, Size 40 lb.

Unit Price: $26.46
Zoro Item: G2165387
Qty: 1
Order Summary

$26.46 Subtotal (1 item)

$0.00 Shipping

$0.00 Tax

$26.46 Total

RDA

I use NuFinish. Tried laundry sheets w/o success. Water or mineral spirits will keep fines down as it dampens the mix.I Prefer not to use mineral spirits because of emissions.

They do make odorless mineral spirits, that is what I typically use.

I use both walnut (from HF) and corncob (from Zoro) in 20/40, neither one creates much dust and I run mine indoors without the lid in place. I use mineral spirits or a liquid polish (Dillon, Flitz, NuFinish) at times. I have occasionally thrown in a dryer sheet but not religiously. I do wipe out the bowl and area around it with a paper towel damped with mineral spirits when I see dust accumulate.

Got my 40lbs ordered ive only used walnut hull so new to the corn cob

For the best results Run the brass through walnut for a few hours and then run through the corn cob. Walnut cleans, Corn cob polishes.