Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bar Sto vs. Springfield Custom Shop Match Barrel

ToddKS

Looking for some feed back on a new barrel.

Option 1 is to send the gun to Springfield where they will install a match barrel (not sure which one) for $220. Concerns for me are unknown barrel manufacturer and unknown lead time.

Option 2 is to send the gun to Springer Precision and have a Bar Sto barrel fitted. They have a drop in option but paying for a match barrel and having it not be fitted does not seem to make the most sense to me. This option would be more expensive at $325. Upside is Bar Sto barrel. Turn time is not known (to me).

Insights appreciated.

Todd

I have sent two guns in to springfield custom and had their match barrels installed. Turn around time was about 4 weeks a few months ago. I am satisfied with the results. 6-8" groups supported at 25 yards shrank to 1.250" groups at 25 yards. Both guns can easily shoot under 2" all day. I would do it again.

Send it to Scott at Springer. If you are looking for accuracy, this is the way to go. Scott and his crew do excellent work. Be aware though, the Bar Sto barrel is just under SAAMI specs for chamber size in each caliber; so if you reload, make sure its with a taper crimp and full length case sizing. Otherwise, the barrel may need chamber reaming, but you are sacrificing accuracy when doing this.

I run a semi fit Bar-Sto in an XD Tac 9mm. Bought it from Springer. Had to fit it just a little with a set of HD needle files on my bench vice taking a thousandth off at a time. It took about 15 to 20 min. If you do it yourself and go this route, take it slow and make sure to account for break in on the barrel. The lock-up will be superb and it's easy and the least expensive method. Accuracy is top notch also! Bar Sto has a good instructional video on their site for this process.