Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My XL650 Pedestal

Bench space is at a premium and I was looking through the Blue Press at the Big 50 pedestal so I decided to put this together. I thought I would keep my strong mount so I would have a little storage.

In spite of the weld and the plates there is a little more movement than I'd like. I'm going to replace the wood with some steel (there is a steel plate under there, I should have made it bigger).

At least no one will drive into the hot water heater now.

post-26496-0-93703500-1411589854_thumb.p

I couldn't find any blue powder coat!

Edited by rodell

I apologize but I can't help myself - is that a gas line leading to a gas water heater? With a pilot light?

If it makes you feel any better, I thought the exact same thing and somehow refrained from making a comment.

I apologize but I can't help myself - is that a gas line leading to a gas water heater? With a pilot light?

If it makes you feel any better, I thought the exact same thing and somehow refrained from making a comment.

I thought about it, too.

I never leave powder or primers in the press except when actively loading, and when the press was on the bench it was only a few feet further away.

The pilot has only been on 18 years at this point, with tens of thousands of loads. I don't have a basement or a spare room, so the garage it is. I wish I had a better choice.

Edited by rodell

I thought about it, too.

I never leave powder or primers in the press except when actively loading, and when the press was on the bench it was only a few feet further away.

The pilot has only been on 18 years at this point, with tens of thousands of loads. I don't have a basement or a spare room, so the garage it is. I wish I had a better choice.

I hear you. The pilot and burner are probably pretty well shielded I imagine. I'd be concerned about whether there is a risk of powder dust accumulating, a powder spill, aeresol/case lube, etc.

I can tell you from personal experience I was once using an aerosol within a few feet of my hot water tank in my shop when it decided to ignite the burner. I was quickly greeted by a fire ball in front of my face and narrowly avoided a major problem (left some residue on the wall, melted some plastic on my towel dispenser and I had a few less hairs on my face and some with singed ends).

Be safe out there, it is easy to make a mistake and have something go wrong.

Meh, the water heater is in a gaage where people place cars, lawnmowers, leafblowers, weed trimmers and gas cans all full of volatile liquid and vapors. We all want to think the worst, but can someone point to a rash of incidents where a water heater ignited someone's loading station? It isn't like the guy is going to be sitting on the floor tossing power into the air.