Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting Mags to Gauge

MikeRush

I couldn't decide if this was a USPSA rules, general gunsmithing, or (2011) specific issue.

Last year I ruined 3 tubes and had feed issues at nationals because I filed the back of the magazine feed lips to fit the gauge with unaltered Dawson SNL pads. They would fit the gauge compressed to take up the slack, but not in their normal (under spring pressure) position.

I replaced the tubes and bought TTI 4g pads. Still don't fit per 2014 measuring procedure.

I've heard of bending or peening the lips at the bottom of the mag to tighten them to the base pad, or welding a bump and dressing it to fit. I have a standard MIG welder but no TIG. Is there a preferred way of doing this? They clear easy with no material removed as long as I take out the slack.

Otherwise I may do what I did at Area 2 and just shoot with my IPSC mags...

That is always an option- I have a full set of the 4g2s which are supposed to fit the gauge though. Long term I may end up there but I have to believe it can work.

TTI states it may take a $20 retune to make the STI mags/4g2 basepads work. Maybe I will contact TTI and see what they say but I know there are people running these pads.

I checked out the TTI STI support thread in the vendor tent and it sounds like other people have encountered the same issue- TTI response appears to be reshaping the lips or adding a bump and filing to fit.

Maybe I will ask on the rules subforum but I thought the 2014 update to the rules required the mag to drop in the gauge without any downward pressure (assuming mag gauge is vertical) and 2 points of contact between back of mag and gauge, with clearance at the feed lips.

Last update I found on mag gauging procedure is here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113158&page=8

I'll make a new thread on rules.

I had done a full tune on the 3 tubes from last year. They all held 21 and would seat fine. I'm still using them as dry fire mags and plan on testing heat treating with them. I'll do a dummy tack and file run on one as a trial before I weld the replacement tubes.

Get a belt sander and grind down the bottom of the base pads. Less chance of screwing up the tube and easier to replace!!

As a certified destroyer of mag tubes I agree with this- however the 4G2 pads are already thinned. I cracked one of the old 4G pads seating it in dry fire without ever dropping it. If I talk off enough to clear from the pad I'll wind up with a hole in the bottom. Last years approach was all at the feed lips and didn't work, an all base pad approach won't work- i think I either split it 50/50 and risk screwing up both parts or tighten the mag to base pad fit.

I just bought 4 TT 4G2 base pads and 4 sets of TT springs and followers, and the tubes I put them on all hold 20. Two are pretty tight and two are reloadable. They all fit my official mag gauge. I also have mags with grams guts and Dawson base pads that hold 20 and easily fit the gauge. I have about 6 of the SNL Dawson's, and two of them will fit the gauge, and the others will not.

I just bought 4 TT 4G2 base pads and 4 sets of TT springs and followers, and the tubes I put them on all hold 20. Two are pretty tight and two are reloadable. They all fit my official mag gauge. I also have mags with grams guts and Dawson base pads that hold 20 and easily fit the gauge. I have about 6 of the SNL Dawson's, and two of them will fit the gauge, and the others will not.

How much play do they have between the lips of the mag where they slide on and the "rails" of the base pad? The springs don't push the base pad down enough to interfere with fitting the gauge? I'll get some pictures when I get home tonight.

Per what I understood last year I would be good to go. Its the 2014 rulebook that has me worried.

I spoke with a local shooter at the range last night who gave me some tips for peening the lips on the bottom of the mag to tighten up the fit. I did this to one mag and removed about half of the play. It is incredibly close to clearing the gauge. I'll tack weld one of my old tubes and compare that fit and decide what to do from there.