Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Autocomp on .45 below starting loads

Yachtmaster

Down to Autocomp for .45 ACP and 230 grain Bayou bullets. Load to 1.26" OAL with .470" crimp.

Started at Hodgens starting load for LRN which was 6.1 grains --way too hot. Dropped to 5.86 grains (average of numerous throws at current setting) and still running 181pf.

Question: I am in for trouble going much lower to get low 170s pf? Anybody else running below Hodgens starting load for this type combo?

Not exactly the same but you may experience something similar.

We tried WAC in 40 s&w for major but noticed the velocities varied significantly when loaded at 5.5 versus 5.7. The 5.5 went 160 pf and the 5.7 went 175 pf.

I load auto comp for major 40 runs flawless. . Makes it easy in 165hp. I will prob load it in 200 rsfp major in 45acp soon. Ck grouping and look for accuracy drop. My FPS varies but I run mixed Hs. Still accurate and clean enough thru multi stages. Bought a bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off. I would load shorter at 1.230 OAL so it will run in all guns.....

Second, reduce load and chrono til you get your PF you want.

Only problem is that it is a slower powder and you will have more recoil than with faster powder, and you might have more unburnt powder as well...ie. not as clean.

DougC

• 5 weeks later...

I've been running Auto comp for the past 5/6 years in 45ACP and I really like it. Was using Win 231 for the last 30 years and Red Dot and Bullseye before that.. I don't switch out powders, but since the powder shortage I have gathered up some Clays and shot it last 2 weeks in major matches. Sorry but to me Auto comp was a bit cleaner and didn't seem to gum up after 200 rounds.. Auto comp can be finicky with velocity spikes at times reloading on a 650 a couple tenths of grains can make out for some hotter loads. Like the Auto Comp loads in the 168 to 172 PF range .So going to save the 231 and Auto Comp and try of some loads with Accurate Nitro NF100 in 45ACP. Have had some good loads worked up in 38Spl and seems to be soft shooting and accurate with 158 jacked bullets..