Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 15-22 Failure to Feed question

ToddKS

Posting this here in hope that some of you use these for practice. I am shooting Steel Challenge with mine.

Today I had multiple failures to feed of a variety I have never had with this gun. Somehow the round was ending up essentially pointing straight up (90 degrees to the chamber) and smashed by the bolt. This malfunction sucks because to clear it you have to drop the mag, etc. Not good for your stage time.

Have any of you experienced this problem? I thought it was magazine related, but I had the issue with multiple mags. I don't think they all went bad at once.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd

Sounds like rim lock. The rounds are not seating properly in the mag. Try after u load the mags release the tension on the bullets and give the mag a simple tap to re-align the .22 bullets so they don't get stuck on each other

I appreciate the feedback. I am familiar with the personality issues of these magazines. I have personally experienced the failures that occur when I rush loading a magazine (or when my son loads one). I am particularly careful with this, especially at a shoot. Before yesterday I had never seen this particular failure mode (bullet pointing straight up, round smashed on feed ramp by bolt). Previous magazine failures had always been round partially in chamber, stuck at an angle. Despite those observations I am still going to take the mags apart an put them in the ultrasonic cleaner to make sure there is no debris built up in there.

I will also check the barrel nut as well.

Does anyone think this could be extractor related? One of my thoughts was that the round could be hitting the feed ramp and coming off the extractor (or the extractor never had the round off the mag). If the back of the round comes loose I could see where you might end up in that bullet vertical situation.

Anyone else with ideas, please post them up. I am open to suggestion.

Just for anyone who may find this on a search, it appears that the problem I was having was due to a buildup of bullet lube around the edge of the recess on the bolt face (particularly under the extractor). It did not look that bad but when I started scraping it kept peeling out of there. This seems to have resolved the problem.

As an additional observation, my troubles started when I started practicing with CCI Blazer and Winchester 222. I can't say for sure which one it was. I have never this level of problem with bullet lube build up but first it was gumming the mags, now this on the bolt face. Further inspection showed additional build up in other areas. What a mess.

Edited by ToddKS

I appreciate the feedback. I am familiar with the personality issues of these magazines. I have personally experienced the failures that occur when I rush loading a magazine (or when my son loads one). I am particularly careful with this, especially at a shoot. Before yesterday I had never seen this particular failure mode (bullet pointing straight up, round smashed on feed ramp by bolt). Previous magazine failures had always been round partially in chamber, stuck at an angle. Despite those observations I am still going to take the mags apart an put them in the ultrasonic cleaner to make sure there is no debris built up in there.

I will also check the barrel nut as well.

Does anyone think this could be extractor related? One of my thoughts was that the round could be hitting the feed ramp and coming off the extractor (or the extractor never had the round off the mag). If the back of the round comes loose I could see where you might end up in that bullet vertical situation.

Anyone else with ideas, please post them up. I am open to suggestion.

Make sure the firing pin is not sticking out.

if it is slightly sticking out while going into battery, the rim of the shell trying to feed is caught under it and will give you this exact malfunction.

Pain in the ass to do but keep the firing pin spring and channel clean.