Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need .45 / Tightgroup Loads

dirtypool40

Tightgroup seems to be the best combo of cheap, available, soft and accurate.

I am not finding any load data for a 200 grainer over TG. Why is that?

I am trying to help out a newbie get ready for a course, where do I have him start? I was guessing around 4.2 grains.

Thanks in advance.

FWIW, I've fired about a bazillon rounds of 200 LSWC over 4.7 of Titegroup @ +- 169 PF. I'd think you'd have bump it up a couple of tenths for FMJs. That said, I've changed over to 4gr Clays and 230 plated RN. With MY gun with MY springs, and after much side by side comparing, it just feels better to me.

Ed

Yup. You'll find that Titegroup is a VERY dense powder and the small volume in a 45 case will have you double checking your scale! When I switched to Clays, being much "fluffier" than Titegroup, and seeing how much "more" powder was in the case, I didn't trust the load until I'd verified my scale was right!

I think you'll like Titegroup, if anything, in 45, it's cleaner than Clays. BTW, 4.7 under a 200 LSWC is what Duane Thomas uses.

Ed

FWIW:

200gr. Berry's SWC (68 H&G profile)

Titegroup 4.8-4.9

Federal 150 Large Pistol Primer

Assorted once and twice fired brass

1.235” C.O.A.L.

SW 945 w/5” bbl

...renders 160-165pf (approx. 25fps variance)

230gr Berry's RN

Titegroup 4.5-4.6

Federal 150 Large Pistol Primer

Assorted once and twice fired brass

1.260” C.O.A.L.

SW 945 w/5” bbl

...renders 160-166pf (approx. 26fps variance)

Interestingly enough, I tried “tipping the muzzle up” as per IDPA regs in order to test the claimed “position insensitivity” of Titegroup. I didn’t find any variance that I could attribute to the powder.

My testing “partner in crime” came to the same conclusion but also found position-related variance with other powders (which shall remain nameless to protect the integrity of this thread).

I’m working on bumping both of the above-listed loads a little bit more since I’m not comfortable being “right on the edge”.

My wife is very sorry she bought me the chronograph. She never sees me anymore. :P

YMMV and all that…..