Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

different guns/triggers for different matches

gotigers

I shoot 3 gun, Tac Ops, and USPSA, 9mm prod in mostly local and some regional. I shoot a 9mm pro with APEX parts. I want to move to LTD in USPSA. I am debating between a S&W M&P 40 pro or some type of double stack 1911 style. They are two very different platforms with even more different triggers.

I have shot the same pistol for 4 years. How hard will it be to shoot 3 gun with my M&P pro on Saturday, then shoot a 1911 style with a much better trigger on sunday?

I have complete empathy. I was raised with a 1911 in my hands, been shooting one in every type of competition for 30 years. But I will also shoot anything I can, and have myriad firearms to do it, trying to be as competitive as I can in each event. While my Glock 41 is as good as that trigger can get, and while my S&W revolvers have been worked to perfection in DA, and while I get pretty darn good with them, there is just magic that happens on the days when I am rocking the 1911.

Your brain is a fantastic machine. Your hands (not eyes) tell it which gun is in them, and the brain flips the right switch for manual-of-arms, as long as you have enough trigger time with each.

i did the same for a while, with a 1911 for SS, 2011 for limited/3 gun and m&p for steel, range use, and carry. the grip angle is the same and the sights were set up about the same, so i would just flip an imaginary safety on and off when I was with an M&P. point and shoot was the same, and once the clock beeps the triggers all feel the same to me.

I am not that adaptable. I use a 1911/Infinity platform for SS, L10, Limited, Open, 3G.

I had an XD and was crappy with it on small targets, had an CZ for Production. My Infinities have the same grip angle as the CZ except the SS.

Sold the Open and CZ.

Now just Limited, SS and 3G.

Crapola, I even have a TS upper for my Infinity guns. Same basic platform for everything. But then again, I am old and did not start shooting until i was 50.