Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much if any?

Onepocket

Looking at my times I'm no faster with an open gun than I am my production gun. This past weekend I shot Smoke and Hope in 15.96 with my open gun and 15.91 with my production gun. I checked the other stages and only on Speed Option was I faster with the open gun than I was the production gun.

It depends greatly on the shooter, the targets/stages and the guns themselves. Small targets at distance are where open guns pull away from limited guns in USPSA, so I would imagine smoke and hope isn't the best place to figure that out.

It doesn't seem to matter at most club matches, many times the winner will be the same person no matter what they are shooting.

On the national level check out some of the past results, many shooters shot open and limited.

I believe it was the 2013 Nationals where BJ Norris had his open gun go down and shot his Limited gun in open. Saw something about it on Shooting USA as I recall. I believe he got second. That is BJ Norris though.

I have never had the opportunity to shoot an open gun but I know that I am faster with the dot on my AR's than I am with open sights. I shoot a M&P 15-22 with a dot on it in rimfire rifle optics. I know that I could not personally match the times I am shooting in that division with irons on that rifle.