Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking the right powder for 38 super

Runnin2live

Okay, so a long time reloader and USPSA open shooter. I have been shooting 9mm glocks with my sin for a year or two now. I wanted to stay with the same guns and caliber to help with expense some. It worked for the most part.

So along comes this great deal on an open 2011 in 38 super an I jump on it. Have been loading and getting closer to the PF I wanted to get to. I am at 165 and now slowly increasing to get the gun a little flatter. The powders I have used are 4756 and with 8.4gr got 1350 average on the chrono with no primer or brass issue. Also working up CFE pistol (I really want this one to work, I have 3 pounds of it). Got to 7.8gr 1340 fps average but starting to see some case bulging. Primers show no issue.

In my opinion, I need more powder to get the gun flatter. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7.3 - 7.4 grs 7625, 125 Montana Gold, sRp ( thou I've shot a lot of s pistol primers) makes 172-3 every where and has low SD

7.4 - 7.5 autocomp every thing else the same. Good flat load for when 7625 is no more

Back on the CFE charge and what info is out there. This may be silly but in the hand gunner article about CFE pistol the load to make 170pf was 7.15gr. I am at 7.8 and just hit 165. I don't have any Poole holes in the barrel and it is a 3 large port comp, does this sound normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back on the CFE charge and what info is out there. This may be silly but in the hand gunner article about CFE pistol the load to make 170pf was 7.15gr. I am at 7.8 and just hit 165. I don't have any Poole holes in the barrel and it is a 3 large port comp, does this sound normal?

Your data is what it is. Different barrels produce different velocities with the same ammo.