Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

100MB internet speed

outerlimits

You haven't lived until you've experienced a .5 mbit satcom link with over half a second of latency and lots of encapsolation requiring tiny MTUs. Skippyaz - 100mbit could be faster than what your equipment can support. For instance, your wifi connection might be limiting you to something like 25mbits (down). If it's an older router the external interface on the router will only support 100mbit and ethernet rarely geats speeds above 90% of the max line speed. Also remember the servers you are connecting to might not be able to support 100mbits.

As already mentioned, kind of speed may be beyond the capability of a significant percentage of the internet sources out there. IOW, you are frequently not limited by the speed at your end but the speed at the other end.

Just doing a speed test is not going to tell you much. Odd's are that streaming Netflix is not going to be a whole lot faster. As an example, I only have a fairly low speed DSL at home and a much faster Cable connection at my beach house. But it takes about the same amount of time to start watching a Netflix movie and I still get the occasional delays.

Data providers play a little game when it comes to speed. They tell you that you will get speeds up to XYZ mbps. That means anything from 0.0001 to XYZ mbps. And they frequently have govenors built into their systems that allow brief spurts of full speed but then slow things down if you are streaming a movie or something. So, you may test fast but not see that translate into everyday use.