Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to get into 3 gun on a budget

aahunt03

Lots of great advice in this thread! I've been itching to get into 3 gun and have spent hours looking for deals on M3000/M3K/MOA Precision modded M3000/FN SLP/M2, but I am now going to practice more with my 870 and use that for my first few matches.

Pistol will be an FNS longslide 9mm and rifle will be an M&P

Thanks for the tips!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had to start over again, I'd get a pistol first and shoot USPSA Limited Minor. The pistol and gear for this translates directly to the pistol and gear for Tac Optics. Then start getting into the other guns. Even though it's one part of 3-gun, most stages I've shot in 3-gun used a pistol. I've rarely had to put my pistol away for a stage.

Go with what you've got, check out matches local to you, find out what you will be shooting. Some matches really stretch out the rifle for long shots, some are on short bays and hoser stages. Talk with people there, and check out their gear in person, most would be happy to talk up their kit unless they are putting together a stage plan or about to shoot.

From there figure out what you need to spend money on for quality of life improvements. Yes it's the Indian not the arrow, but a 5 round pump will never be competitive in Practical, and dropping serious coin on a fully worked over M2 won't make you a 3 gun deathstalker. Find a balance that suits your budget and gets you in the game.

Do you have any shooting buddies? Don't be afraid to borrow from your buddies for matches until you've decided if it's for you or not. Especially when it comes to tricked out shotguns and shellholders. Those are really pricey and stuff most people don't already own.