Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Hard It is to Add a Red Dot

bountyhunter

Old age, failing eyesight and also severe allergies mean my eyes ooze brown goo most days and my close precision vision is pretty much gone.

Kills me that nobody makes usable red dot mounts for any of the more popular guns like a CZ-75 for example (the standard one, not the accessory rail one). Or better yet a basic simple add on to put a dot on a 1911? Without drilling, tapping, bunches of hassle.

Age discrimination......

Old age, failing eyesight and also severe allergies mean my eyes ooze brown goo most days and my close precision vision is pretty much gone.Kills me that nobody makes usable red dot mounts for any of the more popular guns like a CZ-75 for example (the standard one, not the accessory rail one). Or better yet a basic simple add on to put a dot on a 1911? Without drilling, tapping, bunches of hassle.Age discrimination......

I suggest you start supporting Production Optics. There are several places to get dovetail mounts for dots, Leupold sells them for their Delta Points to fit many different cuts. This eliminates the need for milling. Milling of course gets the dot a bit closer to the bore.

Old age, failing eyesight and also severe allergies mean my eyes ooze brown goo most days and my close precision vision is pretty much gone.

Kills me that nobody makes usable red dot mounts for any of the more popular guns like a CZ-75 for example (the standard one, not the accessory rail one). Or better yet a basic simple add on to put a dot on a 1911? Without drilling, tapping, bunches of hassle.

Age discrimination......

Springer Precision has CZ75 dovetail mount ( http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=261&categoryId=42 ) to use a Burris FastFire, very nice.

I have seen the red dots mounted to the slide but always wondered if the recoil force and slide movement wouldn't beat the electronics to death? I worked in electronics design for 30 years and the idea of subjecting it to that kind of g force makes me think it is going to die at an early age. maybe not, but I kind of prefer having the dot mount to the frame if possible. Also, if its a frame mount I can take it off if I need to go back to regular production class.

Edited by bountyhunter

Old age, failing eyesight and also severe allergies mean my eyes ooze brown goo most days and my close precision vision is pretty much gone.Kills me that nobody makes usable red dot mounts for any of the more popular guns like a CZ-75 for example (the standard one, not the accessory rail one). Or better yet a basic simple add on to put a dot on a 1911? Without drilling, tapping, bunches of hassle.Age discrimination......

I suggest you start supporting Production Optics.

I did a search for "production optics" and didn't find it. Is it a company?

You want a Trijicon RMR mounted on a 1911. The 6.5 MOA is the one, because it is user adjustable, not automatic. Automatics don't go on in the sun unless you tape over sensor. There are a number of shops that do that, don't know where you are. It's slick. And yes durable, designed for it. They also go very well on Glocks, M+Ps. I am sure that CZ would work just fine. Deltapoints are ok, just not as physically robust. I forget the others. You don't want plastic. Good luck.DVC

I suggest you start supporting Production Optics.

I did a search for "production optics" and didn't find it. Is it a company?

Go out to Google, search for production optics, then click on the topics you find listed for Enos forum, easier than messing with in house search

I saw that one . I might end up trying it but the problem is my 1911 has the "double wide" grip adapter on it to make the grip larger and that would have to be removed. I have large hands and long fingers and a single stack just won't grip right for me but the double stack size fits much better.

Here is one of mine with a Burris Fastfire III. 1st Fastfire died (couldn't adjust it for elevation) Burris replaced it with the current one and it has worked perfectly for quite a few rounds since then.

P1000285_zps44ac785f.jpg

Yeah, nice. A couple of guys in my league had slide mounted dots and they both died relatively soon.

I guess my ideal would be some kind of add on mount to the front frame area so I don't have to alter the slide and I can go back to the iron sights without a big hassle. I guess there isn't enough market for it?

Edited by bountyhunter

Here is one of mine with a Burris Fastfire III. 1st Fastfire died (couldn't adjust it for elevation) Burris replaced it with the current one and it has worked perfectly for quite a few rounds since then. P1000285_zps44ac785f.jpg

Yeah, nice. A couple of guys in my league had slide mounted dots and they both died relatively soon.I guess my ideal would be some kind of add on mount to the front frame area so I don't have to alter the slide and I can go back to the iron sights without a big hassle. I guess there isn't enough market for it?

There are plenty of rear sight dovetail mounts for red fits.

Try here: www.speedshooterspecialties.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=78

And here: http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=265&categoryId=42

And: http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=261&categoryId=42

Those are just a couple, I'm sure there are a lot more.

Hope that helps