Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie Witness gun smithing question

harryorwell

I've been following a couple posts and videos to improve my Elite Match performance and created an issue that I'm sure you guys can identify. I bought Hennings flat trigger and various springs. Did some polishing and put it all together and the trigger feels great and works fine with the slide off but when I put it back on the trigger won't engage the sear and release the trigger...Or thats what it feels like. I noticed the trigger bar legs are positioned where the slide will force them down when put on and when I mimic that with my finger the same thing happens. Is my sear and or trigger assembly not installed right? It seems like it wouldn't work with the slide off if that we're the case. Everything seems to fit properly but something has got be step wrong. Thx in advance.

Its hard to say with that description. Usually the issues people run into with installing Henning's trigger is setting the pre-travel or overtravel too tight.

So is the trigger not moving or does it move freely when the slide is on?

Its hard to say with that description. Usually the issues people run into with installing Henning's trigger is setting the pre-travel or overtravel too tight.

The trigger moves with the slide on. The trigger bar legs on the inside of the frame are high enough that the slide forces them down. When the trigger bar is forced down like this it won't release the hammer. When i force it into this position with the slide off all I have to do is nudge the hammer "back" just a notch and the trigger bar will tick upward and the trigger will then release the hammer when pulled. The odd thing is that with the slide off the system works and feels great. I've tried all kinds of positions withe adjustment screws also.

it working with the slide off is no use. it has to work with everything in place including the slide. as you've discovered the slide interacts with the notches in the trigger bar.

what exactly have you changed?

trigger

springs

what did you 'polish' and how what did you polish with? did you remove much material.

The trigger moves with the slide on. The trigger bar legs on the inside of the frame are high enough that the slide forces them down. When the trigger bar is forced down like this it won't release the hammer. When i force it into this position with the slide off all I have to do is nudge the hammer "back" just a notch and the trigger bar will tick upward and the trigger will then release the hammer when pulled. The odd thing is that with the slide off the system works and feels great. I've tried all kinds of positions withe adjustment screws also.

I think your pretravel is set too tight

it working with the slide off is no use. it has to work with everything in place including the slide. as you've discovered the slide interacts with the notches in the trigger bar.

what exactly have you changed?

trigger

springs

what did you 'polish' and how what did you polish with? did you remove much material.

I don't have a Dremel so it was only fine grit paper and elbow grease. I'm kind of afraid of damage so I doubt I took too much metal anywhere. The trigger kit and hammer spring were the only changes that I made. I did not replace the plunger which seems like it could be the culprit because it effects the position of the trigger bar but I've checked vids and other pics and it seems right.

That's the smaller allen head screw right...the other is the reset i think. i have run it out to the extreme in both directions. I'm about out of options...probably try to get hemming on the phone. He seems like a good guy and I have some sights on order I need to check on anyway...probably screw those up too! All this stuff seems easy on the posts:)

my guess is actually overtravel. :)

The pre-travel screw controls the reset. If you set it too far out, you will not reset the trigger after the hammer falls.

Take the slide off - cock the hammer - pull trigger and continue to hold - push down the trigger bar, then slowly release the trigger.

If the pre-travel screw is too far out, trigger will not reset and thus will move without any resistance but will not drop the hammer.

Edited by AlphaSeeker