Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front sight size

ToddKS

I am beginning to believe that part of the problem I am having on Pendulum and 5 to go is the .145 wide factory sight on my XDm. Going to swap it out for a Dawson I think.

What size front sights are you guys running?

Thanks,

Todd

I'm old (56 yrs) and I need a lot of light around the front sight to be able to pick it up quickly - plus, I changed all my front sights to fiber optic - that really stands out against the white background on the targets. I shoot 1911's and used a 0.095 inch width and when I changed over to Dawson fiber optics, I went with a 0.100 inch width.

The thing about fiber optic sights is you have a tendency to shoot high with them at first, so practice picking up the sight during dry firing.

I just ordered a .205T X .100W from Dawson Precision and a sight pusher from Fisher Solutions. I am going to leave the factory rear for now and give that a try before I invest $90 in the Dawson rear sight.

I use the little red dot on my rimfire rifle and like it alot. For centerfire pistol I don't think I have the budget for the "dot gun".

I received the new sight and the tool in the mail yesterday. I did get the sight installed but there were some issues that I am not pleased about. I will likely start a separate thread in the XD section with regard to that experience but before I do I am waiting for some feedback from one of the companies involved. Out of fairness to that company I want to give them an opportunity to address my concerns before I post anything regarding the experience.