Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger manipulation

Detlef

The most accurate shots required in IPSC are usually of the kind hitting an A at 25 y or hitting A/C at 50 reliably. Assuming a 5 HF stage, that is a 0.2 sec equivalent for a C instead of an A.

I have done a bit of practicing this type of challenge by 25 y Bill Drills, goal being 6 sec or less from beep. I cannot make up my mind (or finger...) what the best trigger manipulation method is. Given these constraints, should I stay on the trigger all the way back until I noticeably hit the trigger stop? Or should I *just* disengage the sear. The emphasis is on *noticeably*, I seem to have better follow-through when I really run it all the way back.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? 25 y Bill Drills in 6 sec seems like a rather moderate goal, but I can still not reliably do it. In 8 sec maybe 4 out of 5 times, 10 sec every time, but that is too slow unless there's a no-shoot around the A. What am I doing wrong? Am I maybe worrying about the wrong thing?

Ever since I read TGO's definition of a worthy gun owner (able to put 6 rds in the A from 25 y in 5 sec or less) somewhere here on this forum I feel worthless...

--Detlef

"Am I maybe worrying about the wrong thing?"

Maybe. On this type of drill, shift your focus away from the trigger (pull) and instead place about 95% of your attention on WATCHING AND HOLDING the sights in perfect alignment (looking RIGHT AT the front sight) until the gun fires, each time. (Really, I should've shouted the whole sentence.) :) This will allow your trigger finger to it's job without conscious interference. And this helps me on certain drills - Experiment with placing different amounts of attention on just "feeling/holding the gun very still." When doing this, allow the remaining percentage of your attention to be observing your sight alignment.

Usually if I "think" about the trigger when doing anything but shooting groups (from a rest), the results suck.

So, you're consciously placing your attention to observe a realm (you normally wouldn't). This allows the body to physically execute the necessary movements (that you've hopefully trained and are now being called forth by your intent) of simply holding the gun very still and in alignment UNTIL IT FIRES.

be

Detlef,

I shoot a match called Service Pistol and one stage is 6 shots at 25 yards on multiple targets. The 10 ring is 4" wide, compared to 6" for the IPSC A zone, and only 6" high, about half that of the A zone, and the targets are black.

Even among the top shooters who score 885/900 still consider this stage to be the most difficult. I'm very gratified to see TGO's definintion of a worthy performance "(able to put 6 rds in the A from 25 y in 5 sec or less)". Be assured, you are not alone in struggling with this test of skill. I often feel inadequate when I perform badly on this stage.

Also, Brian, thanks for the tips. I struggle in this stage and have been blaming my trigger control, which forms part of holding the gun still, but the way you've put it gives a different focus.

So, is the time to "think" about the trigger when you're dry firing.??  

(Edited by George D at 11:26 am on Dec. 12, 2002)

(Edited by George D at 7:52 am on Dec. 13, 2002)

admittedly, with this type of drill I focus to a very large extent on the trigger *feel*. I had one practice session where everything fell into place and I hardly ever came out of the A. The gun *felt* differently, but I have not been able to reproduce that feeling from then (darn it!). I'll try the *still* and *front sight* focus attention....

--Detlef

• 4 weeks later...

One of my favorite drills, and according to a GM instructor that knows a thing or two, A/M class shooters 20 yards 6 rounds six seconds all in the upper A/B zone @ 20 yards all your hits everytime. GM's should be able to do this @ 25 yards.

If you do this drill a lot successfully you will fear no shots, and confidence is a key to success. If I have to move to 18 yards to get my hits, I move to 18 and get my hits, then move back to 20 when I am getting all my hits. Maybe someday I can go to 25 yards.

It is not as easy as it sounds. To do this right I find I have to have good relaxation, front sight focus, AND feel the trigger. If I don't have all 3 the I get 4-5 of six, and that sucks.

yes, from the holster.

No, haven't tried it yet :(

I have never seen *anyone* do this drill 4 times in a row on the *upper A/B zone* in 6 sec or less w/ a Limited gun. Yes, it will teach you to shoot, but even at the GM level not many can do it...

--D

Yes, from the holster, those times are for open guns, I think he said 3-5 yards less for Limited. I have had my coolest shooting practices doing this drill, it can be a very enlightening experience, dare I say Zen-like. This drill taught me how to "see" and call my shots better. It was very hard not to finish the drill in 5-5.5 in the begining, but that is too fast for this drill, if you can do it that fast everytime, you need to back up.