Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pelican #1750 Rifle-Shotgun Case Too Big

Ive got a 1750,and i can get 3, 30 inch barreled shotguns in mine. lid layer of foam holds the barrels and mag tubes. middle layer holds 2 of the recievers, and the bottom layer holds the last reciever. also put a thin layer of bubble wrap between each layer for good measure.

• 4 months later...

I've got to chime in here. I'm backing the starlights all the way. I've had one for the last 7 yrs and traveled all across the country with 3 guns(Remmy 1100, 20" 223, pistol with all sorts of extra parts, mag, etc. Even in the pouring rain my cargo gets to me dry and nary a broken part. Yes 2 of the handles take some work to open but that's manageable even with my svelte frame(150 lbs/ 5'6" aging), but then again I've never had a problem loading any of my hicaps all the way like some guys do? Gun tests mag ran a side by side of almost all of the gun cases back last century and found the starlights bested the pelicans! So this shooter values a good value, not to mention good customer support.

Racine ;)

• 2 months later...
the real question to ask is "are there any high qualify rifle+shotgun cases which come in within the 62" limit"

I use a Pelican 1700. Outside measurements are just barely under 62". (H+W+L). I have to break down the AR and shotgun, but they both fit along with a handgun.

Kind of off topic but...

Can you put your own locks on your gun case when flying or do they have to be "TSA" locks and exactly what does that mean?

Do you just "show clear" at check in then lock it up and your good untill they arrive or are others opening the case along the way?

Thanks

GIO

DO NOT put a TSA lock on a firearm case. The lock should be keyed or combo and you (the owner) are the only one to have the key or combo.

I said it in another thread but I'll add it here. Flew home on block leave and flew with two bags PLUS my 1750. As stated above, Southwest Airlines didn't charge me $0.01 'cause they don't count sporting baggage as checked bags. Didn't care on the dimensions either as golf club cases are easily larger.

TSA locks. Those cats can go to hell. When my case (locked) went over to TSA, they were more than a little upset when they saw a personal SET of locks. He told me to give him the key, I said for him to move the case to a particular table where I can see him handle my case, keys and the inspection. He didn't want to, and I just called for the supervisor. He did it.

We're still citizens of the USA and we're not doing ANYTHING illegal. Most of all we don't need (not just gun owners...but all travelers) to be treated like criminals. TSA agents and other security agents way too often step out of their left and right limits. I'm willing to take the fight to them by reading the regulations, airline rules and frankly standing up for myself as a US citizen and member of the military.

Food for thought, but yes you can fly with it. Call your airline in advance and have a good attitude with your ticketing desk agent.

Rich

Clint,

When I sized out for my 1750, I basically laid down my rifle and shotgun as close as I wanted them (about an inch) and did so to not have anything "slam" into each other with the luggage monkeys getting a hold of it.

So, for your pistols, here's what I'd do. Layout your pistols "normal opposite" Then place 1/2 your mags on either side of them, spines up, alternating base to feed lips (so to maximize space). Space them about 1/2-3/4" apart (eyeball it). From there, take a measure tape and just figure out the overall dimensions you need.

When I fly for a pistol match, my pistol is in a Doskocil case, locked and in my shooting bag. The mags are in a CCW pouch and inside the bag too. This along with my spikes, belt & holster all go into a rolling duffle bag.

My other bag is my clothes and ammo. If the match requires a lot of ammo, I'll fly with what I can and ship the rest to myself at my hotel or to the MD.

Two bags, both under the max size and I'll usually have a carry-on just for small stuff.

Rich

ETA: Take your measurements and go to the Pelican website and it'll make case recommendations.

Edited by uscbigdawg

• 2 weeks later...

TSA is bankrupting airlines and putting a significant drag on the US economy. The correct way to ensure safety is to engage all passengers in polite conversation and identify behavior patterns for more detailed screening. It is quicker and less expensive than detailed bag screening. El Al has no terrorists flying, high customer satisfaction, and even a good record of getting terrorists arrested when they attempt to fly, even if they were not going to do anything on that particular flight. After all, what's the point of letting an unarmed terrorist fly, only to pick up a bomb at his destination and blow up a bus?