Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure to go. Into battery sometimes?.

trp

I'm not sure the problem but sometimes I get rounds that fit in my gauge but won't feed in the barrel because it seems there a little crooked?

I take the time and set them there straight but I always seem to get the same problem?

I'm using a 550

Any body have a good load for n320 with a 180 bayou bullet at 1.90 while in here

1.90 is short for me in a glock barrel. After a good cleaning I would ck it in the barrel to see if it headspaces ok. If this is range pickup consider bulge busting before you start loading. Jmo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be the extractor. I'm running a 2011, when I got it used sometimes the slide would lack about a 16th or so from closing. The rounds fit the chamber fine. Loaded them back in the mag a second time and they would chamber. Lightened the tension a bit and polished the extractor and I've been good to go ever since.

I'll have to try the extractor that could be it

And yes I meant 1.190 and I was running 4.6 of n320 but I'll have to bump it up I was only getting 890 fps, but it made major with a 6" gun I didn't think there would be that much difference

4.6 gr of N320 and a 180 gr moly coated bullet loaded to 1.180" chrono'd 174 PF out of my 6" 2011 at this year's Area 1.

Same load out of my 5" back-up 2011 is right around 170-172 PF at my local range. Since I don't want to bring two lots of ammo (one for 6" and one for the 5") to big matches I just run one load that I know makes major in both guns.

Barrel lengths can make a difference, as do makes of barrels (some slower/faster than others). A friend has a 5" 2011 with a Scheumann barrel and IIRC needs ~4.8 gr to comfortably make major. Same friend who casts bullets and coats them using the same hi-tek coating compound as Bayou recently switch molds to a 180 gr bullet that doesn't have a lube ring. I still need to work up a load for that new bullet but he told me that a few of his other customers have reported that they need an additional .1 gr of powder due to the increased bearing surface.

.40 is the only caliber I use an EGW U-die and Lee FCD. The U-die for deprime and resizing and the LFCD to help iron out any weirdness when the bullet is seated. I think the only time I have feeding issues is when the bullet is misshapen (had a batch of bullets once that had a handful of egg-shaped bullets that measured .408" at the widest point). But my case gauge usually catches those. Your chamber must be tighter than your case gauge.

Moly's or hi-tek coating is the only thing I load anymore for .40

I knocked the sizing ring out of my FCD in 9,40, &45. I just use a mild crimp to iron out the bell and not leave a big ring around the boolit. I have an extra FCD in each caliber. After picking up range brass and loading they all get bulge busted on my rock chucker before the get loaded on the turret. They all still get chamber cked and 1-2 % get set aside for target only. Solved ALL FTF PROBS. Just me.

Edited by grouptherapy

.40 is the only caliber I use an EGW U-die and Lee FCD. The U-die for deprime and resizing and the LFCD to help iron out any weirdness when the bullet is seated. I think the only time I have feeding issues is when the bullet is misshapen (had a batch of bullets once that had a handful of egg-shaped bullets that measured .408" at the widest point). But my case gauge usually catches those. Your chamber must be tighter than your case gauge.

Moly's or hi-tek coating is the only thing I load anymore for .40

My EGW cker is tighter than my glock chambers. Just saying.

I'm not sure the problem but sometimes I get rounds that fit in my gauge but won't feed in the barrel because it seems there a little crooked?

I take the time and set them there straight but I always seem to get the same problem?

I'm using a 550

Any body have a good load for n320 with a 180 bayou bullet at 1.90 while in here

I am having problems with failure to feed with factory ammo that has a OAL of around 1.09 in a custom 2011 40SW.

Are you shooting out of a 5 inch 2011 (STI)? If so, I was just advised by a very reputable gun builder to do the following:

>>>OAL - Length of the cartridge should be 1.20 inches (yes, even he stated the measurement is long but it has more to do with the magazines. They were originally designed for the 45 ACP).

Powder - 4.8 grains of Vihta Vuori N320 or 4.8 grains Hodgdon Tite Group

Primers - Winchester small rifle primers or small pistol primers

Brass - Remington (40 S&W)

Bullets - 180 grain Zero JHP (40 S&W) or Montana Gold

This load should make 168 to 170 power factor. Start out using 10% less powder, check for pressure and check

for velocity using a chronograph. Work your way up until the load meets the desired power factor without showing pressure signs.<<<

​As an aside, my M&P, FNS and Glock 40SW pistols will feed any factory ammo I put in them. The STI not so much. But I am prepared to "roll my own" so it isn't a problem, just an inconvenience.

Edited by JMike