Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What firing pin for SA 1911 9mm .063" tip?

Ah0386

Coming into the light primer strike issue with my SA 1911 loaded 9mm. Inspected my primer hits and definitely light. Did some searching on this forum and came up with ed brown #826, but it's listed as having a .071" tip. Just measured the tip on the titanium firing pin and it's at .063". Will the #826 work in the loaded 9mm replacing the .063" firing pin? What firing pin do you suggest as a drop in?

Thanks!!!!

The firing pin I replaced miked a .165. The replacement miked the same and was longer then the one that came in the gun, also replaced the firing pin spring. Don't know what mainspring it had but since the original was 8 years old I replaced it with a new one that was 19# as well. Haven't had a misfire since, that was 800 rounds ago. Plus the firing pin hit on the primer is a lot deeper.

Ed Brown carries a FP for SA pistols. I just don't remember the product #. It's not always a drop-in part though. When the FP arrives, drop it into the FP channel in the slide and see if the tip-end comes out of the breech face. If it doesn't, the pin is still slightly oversized.

You can insert the FP in your drill, wrap a fine grit sandpaper around the tip then turn. Take frequent measurements as the diameter of the tip is turned down. It will eventually fit into the breech face hole.

Good luck.

Ed Brown carries a FP for SA pistols. I just don't remember the product #. It's not always a drop-in part though. When the FP arrives, drop it into the FP channel in the slide and see if the tip-end comes out of the breech face. If it doesn't, the pin is still slightly oversized.

You can insert the FP in your drill, wrap a fine grit sandpaper around the tip then turn. Take frequent measurements as the diameter of the tip is turned down. It will eventually fit into the breech face hole.

Good luck.

Yeah, sounds like a plan. Would've preferred a drop in, but seems to be a recurring theme with SA and their titanium coupled with a heavy stock spring.

Take out the Springfield ILS mainspring and plunger, install a full length 17# or 19# mainspring to taste, and a generic plunger, get the cross pin that holds it together too. Add the extended firing pin.

Charlie

Issue with IDPA if I remove the ILS?

Take out the Springfield ILS mainspring and plunger, install a full length 17# or 19# mainspring to taste, and a generic plunger, get the cross pin that holds it together too. Add the extended firing pin.

Charlie