Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is an AR slamfire after LAMR a DQ under USPSA rules?

During my practice today I did the LAMR with my rifle as I described above.

There were no slamfires.....

It was sunny at first....

....then it was cloudy....

...then it rained....

....then a chipmunk came out....

I found a 5.7X28 case....

....and page 2....

ericm

Edited by ericm

Armalite AR-10s indeed have firing pin springs. They have a very small one inside the end of the bolt. My AR-10 doesn't like some of the harder primers in combination with the Timney trigger I have installed. I can't use Magpul's .308 mags, but I do get a firing pin spring.

We'll slap my firing pin, I thought u folks were pulling my re-coil spring.

Edited by silver star

I have had a few slam fires, but none of mine were from loading from bolt open. All of mine came while shooting. They were slam fires, not bump fires. All were in my Armalite AR10, several were on my first stage at the first Pro/Am (even hit a 100yd flasher with a double, almost made a spinner out of it). I had removed the firing pin spring from the firing pin two years before because JP yellow springs wouldn't ignite military primers 100%. I had tested several brands of ammo, comparing the unload and show clear primer divots with ones from the same ammo and the spring in place. I even dropped the bolt on the same round several times (checking for bullet setback in between) and never made one go off. After my slam fires during the stage, I was told to FIX IT. I put the firing pin spring back in and have had no problems since. I had just started using a different batch of Privi Partizan 147gr ball when the slam fires started, I suppose that the primers were just sensitive. I later changed to a Wilson Trigger, which has a stronger hammer spring and it has ignited everything so far. I looked for a titanium firing pin for the AR10, but never found anyone that made one.

I run a titanium firing pin in my JP, never had a slam fire with the steel firing pin in it, but some of the primers on unload and show clear rounds had some pretty big divots in them, so I switched to titanium for insurance.

Hurley

Edited due to spelling.

That's interesting. Your AR10 has firing pin springs?

Sorry for the late reply, I usually only look at the forums at night. Yes, as others have said, Armalites have a firing pin spring. It is a small coil spring that seats against the back of the bolt carrier. There is an enlarged diameter area on the firing pin that the spring rides on, which gives the pin more mass, so more likely to set off a primer without the spring in place. Once I started using the Wilson trigger, I have not had any light strikes with the spring in place.

Hurley