Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 4 frame, gen 3 slide - production legal?

cpa5oh

• 4 months later...

So the gen 4 frame worked on the gen 3 slide? I was by several people that a gen 1-3 are compatible but gen 4 will not function. I was told the gen 4 slide tabs are a litte more narrow and it would ruin the frame after a couple rounds.

• 1 year later...

I realize I am grave-digging here, but when I was originally researching the issue of the Gen 3 slide over the Gen 4 frame, I wish some one would have responded, so I am doing so now as a public service.  I have put a Glock 17, Gen 3 slide over a Gen 4 frame and put at least 3400 documented rounds through it.  No ill effects I can detect.  Frame does not look like it has taken any damage (comparing the internals to a new Gen 4 frame).

That is to say, I am NOT condoning you attempt this, or even remotely saying it is safe for YOUR Glock.

cpa5oh, PM sent for a copy of that ruling letter for what its worth anyways.  I would like to run a Gen 4 over a Gen 4 frame in production also.  As you say it is less work to set up a new slide when you have a Gen 3 slide you are confident performs.

On July 25, 2014 at 10:35 AM, warpspeed said:

Since Glock hasn't made a 3/4 hybrid as a factory gun and gotten it on the list, I'd say no go.

Not a problem mixing generations. Any parts from production models are ok.  Unless they consider a gen 4 and gen 3 slide a different contour.. 

Edited by Garmil

I have pretty small hands, I guess, but the Gen 4 without the backstrap is about as big as I want to go.  I still can't reach the mag drop with my thumb without doing a little pull with my support hand as I reach down for the mag that rotates the frame around about 5 degrees.  Every time I throw the medium beavertail onto my guns, I end up taking it back off.

Also, I fell in love with an undercut trigger guard, which I did to all my frames so I can't shoot Production even if I wanted to.  I've got an extra frame in the safe that is still bane stock in case I ever want to go back to Production, though.