Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacing rear sight on my STI 2011

kcobean

The person that owned this gun before me took too much meat off the dovetail on the rear sight, so it's loose in the groove and I'd like to replace it. It looks like there are two or three different cuts out there for rear sight grooves and I'd like to make sure I buy the appropriate sight on the first try. Does anyone know what cut an STI slide gets from the factory?

I am a little confused. Is it the rear sight itself that has had its dovetail modified, or is it the dovetail cut in the slide that is boogered up?

If the former, my guess it your slide has a Bomar cut dovetail milled in it and the stock rear sight can be replaced with a new one from Dawson, Shooters Connection etc... like this one: http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/STI-Adjustable-Rear-Sight-Bomar-Style-P814.aspx Dawson's site is currently down so I couldn't link to one of their's. A number of manufacturers make them, such as Kensington, STI, Dawson, Ed Brown, EGW, Harrison...

However I read on another forum that starting sometime this year STI switched from Bomar cut rear sights to LPA cut. So it would depend on how old you 2011 is.

If the dovetail on the slide is too large... yeah, I would consult with a gunsmith to see what can be done (ie weld it up and recut). Does tightening the set screw help lock it down? On one of my STIs I can push the rear sight out with just finger pressure, but when the set screw and elevation screw are in place it doesn't move. I blue lock-tite the set screw on my guns.

Depends on how loose. You can try to peen/dimple the corners of the sight to tighten it up, and use green loctite in the sight/slide dovetail. When that cures, use blue on the set screw.

Edited by Quack