Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Knob Creek shooting match

The "Largest machinegun shoot & military gun show" in the country is held at the Knob Creek shooting range in Kentucky every spring and fall. It is primarily a big machinegun shoot and gunshow with an emphasis on full-auto/military/NFA-related stuff. These are the "main events".

They also have a number of shooting matches as side events. These include a subgun match (full-auto), assault rifle match, practical pistol match, shotgun match, and an Old Military bolt-action match. They also have an "aggregate" match winner, who has the best combined times from the open-bolt subgun, pistol, and assault rifle matches. Rules for all of the matches can be found here.

For the first time in several years, I may have a chance to attend the match. Has anyone here shot any of the matches at the Creek before? Any advice/suggestions?

Any ideas if there are any limitations on what alterations can be done to the gun for the Assault Rifle match? I am wondering if my USPSA Open rifle would be allowed, or if I would have to "dumb it down" some.

I have guns for all the available matches except the Old Military bolt action. Any suggestions on what a good surplus bolt-gun would be. Distances to targets are not listed. anyone know what to expect here? Would I be better off with a "Major Rifle claiber gun" (.30-06, .303, 8mm, etc), or should I try to find an intermediate caliber like a bolt gun in 7.62x39? I would prefer to find some surplus rifle that shoots easy, and reloads relatively quickly (stripper clips are allowed). I don't have much experience with bolt guns, especially surplus militrary guns, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I would prefer (at least initially) to find something that is relatively inexpensive, and that could be acquired with a C&R FFL.

Any thoughts?

I live in Ky about 2 hours from Knob Creek. I have been several times to the shoot and it is something everybody has to see at least once. If it rains take a 4 wheel drive. One time I barely got out with a 4 wheel drive. Thats how sloppy it was. I heard they were pulling people out with tracotrs until 3 am and the next day there were still cars buried in the mud. So get there early for a good parking spot.

AS far as the matches are concerned. I shot them once. It is run under some tactical rules. Not even sure what organization rules they follow. I only did it once. Its a big event so there are allot of people there. I didnt have a good experience but that was in 97 with pooring rain. I am sure its more organized now.

Garrett,

I live about 20 miles from Knob Creek so I have shot all the matches at one time or another. The subgun and the rifle matches are the biggest. The pistol and shotgun matches are/were (haven't shot them lately) scored using "tactical" standards. The subgun matches are/were (haven't shot them lately) run more like IPSC matches with scoring being time. The rifle matches, assault and military bolt, are run on the same course that is basically the same every year.

Anything goes on the assault rifle match as far as gun modifications go so an IPSC open/tactical gun is the way to go. The military bolt guns need to be basically stock.

The rifle match is shot on steel with only 1 round allowed to be fired at each plate from left to right. There are usually 4 firing positions, standing, kneeling, sitting/prone and one unorthodox position usually in some type of vehicle. There are 5 steel targets in each array with a sixth bonus plate on the first two arrays and a stop plate on the last array. Ranges vary between approx. 30-125 yards. There is approx. 10-20 yds of movement between each firing position. There is also 1 paper bullseye target that will be engaged with 5 rds. One magazine change must be made somewhere between the first and last shot. The score is the shooter's time minus bonus for each plate target hit plus any penalties for misses. The winning scores will always be in negative time. I only shoot the rifle matches now and overall I enjoy them. Make sure that you sign up early because there can be alot of waiting to fire these matches.

Garrett,

I use an 03A3 for the military bolt gun match, but SMLE's and Mausers are also used very effectively. The Schmidt-Rubens can also be very effective due to there staight pull bolts. They are very fast but excellent accuracy with moderate speed is what usually wins the rifle matches at Knob Creek.