Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli SBE2 "Bolt Lightening"? Opinions?

jlane21034

I am about to send my SBE2 to C-Rums to have carrier welded, port opened, etc. I am attempting to make this my new 3Gun shotgun and I am concerned with reliably cycling low power rounds. I know that Jeff offers "bolt lightening" and it is my understanding that this will help in cycling the low power stuff. I primarily use the AA X-tra Light Target Loads (7-1/2 shot, 1 oz, 2-3/4 dram, 1180 FPS). I have owned this gun for a couple of years and originally purchased for Dove and Ducks. Gun has prob had less than 250 rounds through it (I wouldn't consider it "broken-in"). Does anyone have a SBE2 that has had the bolt lightened and are you pleased with the results? If your SBE2 runs everything and is completely stock, how many rounds did it take to "break-in" until low power rounds ran reliably? If you replaced the recoil spring instead of lightening the bolt and it worked/or didn't work, let me know. Just looking for opinions and experiences from anyone who has been here before or that does these types of mods for a living.

I am sure some of you will think, "why bother just get an M2 or Versamax or (Fill in the blank) and be done with it". Here are a few of the reasons for wanting to use the SBE:

#1 It is bought and paid for. I am hoping to spend another $400-$500 and be done.

#2 I am a lefty and this Benelli is a left handed version. I actually see the benefit of a lefty shooting a right handed gun (I shot trap with a right handed berretta for years) but have come to enjoy shotguns that don't throw the hulls and expelled gases in your face. My AR is also left-handed.

#3 I am currently using the load two method and practicing on the quad load. The larger loading port on 3-1/2" SBE looks huge compared to the one on my 930.

#4 It points great for me and I have always shot it really well.

I have been using a Mossberg 930 for the past couple of years. Couldn't find a JM Pro at the time so found a stock 930 at Walmart, replaced barrel, added mag tube, carrier welded, port opened, etc. After some break-in and cleaning I got it to shoot low power shotshells and slugs reliably. Still am using the Mossberg and plan on keeping it for a back-up.

NO!!! lightening the bolt does NOT help in cycling of low power rounds!!!! This is interweb misinformation or a misunderstanding of what bolt lightening actually does.

it actually hinders it, leave the bolt alone and shoot it just as it is with the ammo you want to use, if it works great leave it alone, if it doesn't then you will need to move up to 3 dram or heavier ammo.

If your desire is to shoot light loads, with 100% reliability, then a gas gun is what you should be using. Benelli's work of of inertia which means it needs energy, sometimes they will work just fine with light loads, my GF uses 2 3/4 dram stuff in her M2, I personally don't use anything less than 3 dram, in my Benelli's.

proper lubrication will go a long way towards ensuring the gun will run especially with lighter loads.

My SBE, has the standard weight recoil spring, and a stock bolt and runs reliably with 3 dram loads, when I use them in practice, its also well lubed

trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

I'm no expert, but I believe that the Vinci speed bolt model actually has a HEAVIER bolt to help cycle the lighter loads. The heavier bolt lets the inertia spring compress a little more before the bolt moves to help slam the bolt back when it decompresses.

I am as far from an expert as you can get. I am trying to learn as I go. It sounds like I just misunderstood the use of the mod. So if "bolt lightening" doesn't aid in shooting low power rounds (if I am understanding correctly it would actually do the opposite). The purpose is to speed up the cycle time of the bolt? If that assumption is correct I don't think it is something I need. My trigger finger and my brain isn't that fast. Am I making sense?

Correct. Bolt lightening is to reduce cycle time. In an inertia gun, it is going the wrong way for light load reliability.. The heavy bolt on the speed bolt model has tungsten in it to delay movement so the spring compresses further. One of the reasons the Stoeger (a licensed Benelli inertia copy) seems to be OK with a lot of the lighter loads is that the recoil spring is wrapped around the mag tube. The action bars and bracket that connect the bolt to the forward spring location add a bit of mass to the bolt carrier assembly, which accomplishes the same thing as a heavier bolt body. Rather than re-engineering a finely balanced equilibrium between mass, recoil, and spring force, most folks just find the lightest stuff it will run reliably and shoot that. I shoot a lot of the Estate garbage in practice even though it is known to be marginal in power. It does occasionally short-stroke, but it is CHEAP. I buy better ammo for matches, because I don't want to worry about it. In practice I can live with cheap ammo.

Run it wet with decent lube, and it will run the lightest stuff it is capable of.