Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First IDPA Match

Wesquire

I think I'm hooked! First stages were 1 and 5, a few mental mistakes and one popper took 5 hits before it fell. Other than that, I'm really happy with the results. I've never shot a pistol match before.

post-55005-0-66724800-1405920617_thumb.p

Edited by Wesquire

How long does it typically take to move up classifications? I think I would probably classify around SS now, my end goal would be master, but do you think it is reasonable to want to get to expert by the end of the year?

Nicely done!

I wouldn't get caught up in your classification but instead focus on safety, learning the game, and having fun.

The classification will come.

Spend some time searching this site and you will find a wealth of information on how to increase your skill- set including practice drills.

Nicely done!

I wouldn't get caught up in your classification but instead focus on safety, learning the game, and having fun.

The classification will come.

Spend some time searching this site and you will find a wealth of information on how to increase your skill- set including practice drills.

Thanks. I think my biggest surprise was just how fast some of the SS were. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I had some SS in my squad and they blazed through some of the stages

Edited by Wesquire

You'll be that SS before you know it.

It's fun watching the more experienced shooters. Their ability to quickly glide through a stage comes from experience and practice.

Don't hesitate to ask the folks you're shooting with plenty of questions. As a whole everyone is glad and willing to help each other out.

Edited by Lewiston

You'll be that SS before you know it.

It's fun watching the more experienced shooters. Their ability to quickly glide through a stage comes from experience and practice.

Don't hesitate to ask the folks you're shooting with plenty of questions. As a whole everyone is glad and willing to help each other out.

Yeah, the SS in my squad had similar raw times to the EX shooters. I guess the SS times are just faster than what I was expecting.

Some of those SS may already be at an EX level. They either haven't shot a classifier recently or are looking to get a trophy and match bump at an upcoming major match.

As others have stated, it's not about the destination as much as the journey. Before you know it, you'll be progressing through the ranks. Enjoy the ride and be safe!

I did my first IDPA match last week, did pretty good the first stage, only 4 points down, I fell apart the next 3 due to what I think are strange IDPA rules, tac reloads, both feet planted while reloading, IMHO could get someone killed in real world life or death situations, at least I didn't have to wear a silly cover vest due to it being 100 outside, I'm going to try it again next week before I make my decision to not partake in it

I did my first IDPA match last week, did pretty good the first stage, only 4 points down, I fell apart the next 3 due to what I think are strange IDPA rules, tac reloads, both feet planted while reloading, IMHO could get someone killed in real world life or death situations, at least I didn't have to wear a silly cover vest due to it being 100 outside, I'm going to try it again next week before I make my decision to not partake in it

We didn't have to do tac reloads.

It's was explained to me that reloading is only allowed when the weapon is empty(slide back and locked) or with retention, I have trained my brain to reload when the mag is empty and one in the chamber

It's was explained to me that reloading is only allowed when the weapon is empty(slide back and locked) or with retention, I have trained my brain to reload when the mag is empty and one in the chamber

There just was never an instance when a tac reload was worth it.

Sounds like you may have already made up your mind.

IDPA is like any other game. There are rules to be had. You either play by them or you don't. It may not be for you. Maybe try USPSA or Steel Challenge if it's available on your area.

9mm in 1911 is almost cheating. The only thing one may give up to a polymer is that they (polymers) have a more forgiving mag chute being a double stack. Nothing that can't be overcome with some quality practice.

9mm in 1911 is almost cheating. The only thing one may give up to a polymer is that they (polymers) have a more forgiving mag chute being a double stack. Nothing that can't be overcome with some quality practice.

Think 1911 is a better 9mm platform than a CZ75 or variant?

Shot my second match today. Got first SSP Unclassified again. I am proud of my stage 5 score, I think I can be on that level consistently with a little more practice. I'd like to be a competitive EX shooter by the end of the year. I hope you guys don't mind if I use this thread to track my progress. Barely hit 2 non-threats or I would have beat the EX shooter. Here's the results:

score1_zps32d6a7c4.png

post-55005-0-61829100-1406418175_thumb.p

Edited by Wesquire

Well, I'm not sure anyone cares who is first unclassified. I'm lucky enough for there to be local matches around every weekend. I've heard the next classifier planned isn't until November though.

That's pretty common, it seems like around here most clubs that have IDPA are only doing classifiers once a year. I shot my first match last June and was unclassified until October last year, missed Expert by 0.8 seconds, and at the first major match I shot I ended up getting bumped. I think looking at your results now making EX by the end of the year is possible. You ar fortunate to have weekly matches I think that getting used to shooting on the clock and in front of others is one of the biggest hurdles for some people. Good luck and have fun.

Edited by SWprotected

Well, I'm not sure anyone cares who is first unclassified. I'm lucky enough for there to be local matches around every weekend. I've heard the next classifier planned isn't until November though.

Locally we put division and class aside and look at the overall. Regardless of division, we find that our MA's finish on top followed by the EX's. This also reflects in our overall scores at major matches. It helps me to gauge my skill development knowing that most of our members are shooting at their level.

• 1 year later...

So I went to my first IDPA match in over a year this last weekend. I accomplished my objective of being competitive with EX shooters. Beat several A class uspsa shooters as well. I haven't been able to live fire much since I'm not a member of any ranges, but my somewhat consistent dry firing has paid off. In the past year, I've fired under 750 rounds, including what I've shot at matches. I guess that is a testament to dry fire really making a difference. Thanks Ben Stoeger. New goal is to be IDPA Master (I could maybe classify M right now) in the next 2 months. USPSA Master by next May. USPSA GM by January 2017. About to join a local range and get some much needed live fire training in.

6PE23sy.png

Edited by Wesquire