Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone use a metal detector to find their brass?

Lewiston

We practice on the edge of an old alfalfa field that I mow very short and usually recover 75% of our brass - less for 9mm.

Short of laying down gravel I was wondering if a metal detector would work. I'm thinking the kids would have fun using it since they are our brass pickers - paid per piece of course. ;)

When I've had trouble finding brass wherever its been thrown outside I found that if I worked on a big tarp laid out to catch the brass then I caught most and at last knew about where to look from their fall pattern on the tarp. Old bed spreads, tarps-anything that's not hazardous underfoot or gets in the way of ur fun.

2Cents worth..

The kids will not find it nearly as much fun...with brass there is no ferrous to excite a magnet so U have to use your eyes, toes, hands/knees etc.. I sure wish I had a place like that all the time to practice...be much more fun that a durn indoor range!

Peace and Joy,

Chuck

I've been using the tarp method but a couple weeks ago looked into metal detectors and found a number of people using them with success. Sounds like there is some techniques and equipment issues to figure out but nevertheless they work.

Now that'd be hard core...no case left behind. The problem I'd have (and I suspect most would) is that people shoot .22lr and that litters the range. Unless you can hear a difference between .22lr and your brass, I suspect the metal detector would be like looking for a specific piece of straw in a haystack.

Never thought of using one. I just pick up what I find.

As to the post about .22 LR casings, don't forget that you can scrap brass. I don't seek out .22 LR casings, but if they're around a case I'm picking up, I'll grab them. They go in the scrap bucket. Scrap brass is almost $2/lb.

As to the post about .22 LR casings, don't forget that you can scrap brass. I don't seek out .22 LR casings, but if they're around a case I'm picking up, I'll grab them. They go in the scrap bucket. Scrap brass is almost $2/lb.

Scrap brass price here is $1.50lb and the price has been steady for many months.

When I've had trouble finding brass wherever its been thrown outside I found that if I worked on a big tarp laid out to catch the brass then I caught most and at last knew about where to look from their fall pattern on the tarp. Old bed spreads, tarps-anything that's not hazardous underfoot or gets in the way of ur fun.

Chuck

I don't know if the tarp will work since we generally shoot on the move but I'll give it a try.

I've been using the tarp method but a couple weeks ago looked into metal detectors and found a number of people using them with success. Sounds like there is some techniques and equipment issues to figure out but nevertheless they work.

I'd be very interested if you find out more.

We shoot very little .22lr so that shouldn't be an issue but what we do shoot I'll start picking up for scrap.

Lewiston...

Try googling "metal detectors for finding brass" lots of discussion on what to use and how to do it. Since my range is personal and private there are only my cases to contend with. Its wild hay land cut very short to. Since the brass won't be imbedded into the ground it sounds like an inexpensive detector will suffice.

Cheers!

Yes

I have a really nice metal detector. I didn't buy it for finding brass cases but since I had it I don't lose a single piece of brass. They make hand held locaters that you use for metal detecting that are cheaper but they need to be real close to the target. They are for use to pinpoint targets and that's what they are called by name. But my detector can find brass cases with ease and it tells target depth so if there is metal 6 inches down I know its not my brass.

I have an old metal detector the kids used years ago that I use for this. I mostly shoot from the gravel areas of my driveway but sometimes I get too close to the edge of the yard a loose a round or two. I'll breakout the metal detector to find them. If I detect any .22's I pick them up too and through them in the container with my spent primers. The scrap guys get all of them as well as any other scrap brass.

At a range or match I usually leave my brass lay since it's mostly 9 Major that has been shot numerous times.

I have far too many metallic objects around the places I shoot to use one for that.

Kind of like for every gold ring you will find on the beach using a metal detector you find you will find gallons of metallic trash. If it is not on top of the ground I just don't get it back.

All of the steel and aluminum cases will set them off too (as well as fence staples, tac's, can tabs.....)

Lewiston

I have a Minelab CTX3030. I learned a lot on YouTube watching people use my exact machine. There are forums to but I didn't get into those as much yet.

Metal detectors find lead bullets to probably because of the other metals in it.

VH64

Thanks for the info; I'll check it out. The various metal detector sites I've visited are very overwhelming with data overload. My purpose for this thread is to narrow the search. I'm surprised more shooters don't use them to recover their brass.