Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marvel .22 Conv. Questions

I'm thinking about building up a dedicated STI lower for a Marvel upper (an Open-esque setup) and I have a few questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to.

First, does there need to be an ejector in the gun? If there isn't one, does it just look a little funny from the back? I assume that the Marvel has its own integrated ejector.

Second, how does the Aluminum compensator hold up?

Third, are the frame rails going to need to be cut down at all on the STI frame? It will be a new frame, so there won't have been any material removed.

Fourth (a question more about the frame than the Marvel), single-stack grip or regular? Does the singlestack grip allow for the use of regular S_I magwells? Is there enough meat on the S_I-specific mags to allow for easy seating with a magwell in place?

Fifth, is a single-sided scope mount with the top rib removed the best bet for reliable ejection? I'll be running a C-More.

Sixth, I've read a 17-lb mainspring is the best bet for reliable ignition. Is this correct?

I'm thinking about building up a dedicated STI lower for a Marvel upper (an Open-esque setup) and I have a few questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to.

First, does there need to be an ejector in the gun? If there isn't one, does it just look a little funny from the back? I assume that the Marvel has its own integrated ejector.

No ejector needed on frame. Yes there'll be a hole in the back of the slide.

Second, how does the Aluminum compensator hold up?

Can't help you here.

Third, are the frame rails going to need to be cut down at all on the STI frame? It will be a new frame, so there won't have been any material removed.

Maybe a little bit. I had to do a bit of work to get a Marvel top end onto a brand new lower I had.

Fourth (a question more about the frame than the Marvel), single-stack grip or regular? Does the singlestack grip allow for the use of regular S_I magwells? Is there enough meat on the S_I-specific mags to allow for easy seating with a magwell in place?

I'd go for the single-stack grip if it's going to be a Marvel-only frame. Cheaper and easier to load magazines. The basepads on the Marvel STI mags is extended a bit, but not enough for speedy mag-change practice. They aren't easily replaceable with other basepads either.

Fifth, is a single-sided scope mount with the top rib removed the best bet for reliable ejection? I'll be running a C-More.

I think so.

Sixth, I've read a 17-lb mainspring is the best bet for reliable ignition. Is this correct?

I've got 15's in my conversion guns and they work OK. 17 may give you more insurance.

Thanks, Roy.

Do you run the steel compensator or no comp on yours?

Some strokes on the frame with a file shouldn't be too bad.

Here's the singlestack grip:

2011Grip-Black.jpg

Do y'all think the frame will accept a regular magwell and not allow it to flop around? I need the magwell to help the gun fit my hand. It doesn't look too different, so as long as the Marvel mags accept extended SS basepads, it shouldn't be too much of a pain to seat the things, which is my concern with the STI mags... I just want to be able to get 'em seated easily. Any recommendation on really long screw-on ones (I'm assuming they'd be screw on basepads)?

I guess another logical question is "what do I need besides the basic lower parts?"

I'm looking at:

STI Frame

Magwell w/ MSH pin

Mainspring

MS Cap

MS Cap pin

MSH Pin retainer

Plunger spring assembly

Thumb safety

Grip safety

Sear spring

Hammer

Sear

Disconnector

Hammer pin

Sear pin

Hammer strut

Hammer strut pin

And I don't need the ejector or ejector pin.

I have a marvel conversion that I installed on it's own Caspian frame. It's set up for Action Pistol so it has a shroud on it. I took the scope base off and it works fine.

The comp works real well just keep an eye on the retaining screw. I had mine in with red lock tight and it still came off.

I was told that I should install a 45 ejector. I haven't had any ejection problems.

The only complaint that I have with mine is that the trigger pull is heavier than I like them. I'm using a 17 lb mainspring because anything lower than that won't set them off 100%. That puts the trigger pull in the 1.75lb range.

I'm not sure about your question on the base pads. The single stack mags are Metalform 22 ACE mags. You will have to drill and tap them to accept base pads. I've never seen one of the double stack mags.

It looks like you have all the parts listed for the frame.

They are a real joy to shoot. I like to see how fast I can get all 6 shots off at 10 yards on the barricade. It's a hoot to see the reactions that I get.

Kevin

Thanks, Roy.

Do you run the steel compensator or no comp on yours?

Here's the singlestack grip:

Do y'all think the frame will accept a regular magwell and not allow it to flop around? I need the magwell to help the gun fit my hand. It doesn't look too different, so as long as the Marvel mags accept extended SS basepads, it shouldn't be too much of a pain to seat the things, which is my concern with the STI mags...

I run no comp. The dot bounce is relatively close to my steel loads, so I leave it that way, since I use it for practice mostly.

I believe the STI Singlstack grip is externally identical to the standard grip, so a magwell should fit on there fine, but you might want to ask somebody with one first.

The Marvel "STI" mags don't seem to accept basepads. They're single-stack mags with spacer plates bolted around them. The plates add about 1/2" to the magazine. It fits a bit below flush in a Dawson Ice magwell. I'd guess that the single-stack mags would fit about flush with the frame, but extendo basepads should be more available for them.

I have a marvel conversion that I installed on it's own Caspian frame. It's set up for Action Pistol so it has a shroud on it. I took the scope base off and it works fine.

So if you have a gun with scope already on it.. be it an alchin mount or c-more serendipity..

you can take the top off of the marvel unit?? how about the unit 1 with the adjustable sights???

I just haven't seen a unit and saw a unit 1 with iron sight for sale..can I adapt that w/o too much trouble to run on my open gun frame???

If the unit 1 is the one with interchangable tops (one weaver rail for scopes and the other with iron sights), then you can remove the top rail (either one) and it will work (you actually have to if your scope is mounted very low).

If you have something with the sights built into the slide, you'll have to remove them somehow if they don't clear the mount.

I hacked up a Ceiner kit to work on an STI once, and only had to remove the rear sight-- the front one was far enough forward to clear the frame-mounted scope mount.