Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Cal to 9mm Limited Conversion

I have been toying with the idea of running both .40 cal and 9mm form my Limited.

Right now I have a factory small frame .40 cal.

Questions:

Do I have to get a new slide?

Can I buy just a 9mm barrel and mag to complete the conversion?

Would it be OK to swap back & forth between the 2?

What would be around about price on such a conversion?

Thanks,

Rodney

PC_20140711_162352_zpsic8bqswc.jpg

I have a Lim Pro 10MM and Lim Elite 10MM and a 38 Super Conv Upper. The 38 Super Upper fits nicely on both guns ,NO fitting required. The 10MM slides on the other hand will not interchange between guns. So if you buy a 9MM conv upper fitting might be required.

I think you will need to buy the slide and barrel assy. price if you can find 1 - $700

Sean

Edited by 475480

A barrel swap is possible (I know shooting 9mm rounds in 9mm barrels in .40 slides works, I just haven't done it enough to say it's 100% reliable), but the trouble is finding a small frame, 4.75" 9mm cone barrel; I wouldn't bet my life there are not any small frame 9mm Limited pistols in the US, but there probably aren't more than a handful. The barrel itself would be even more rare and if you found it 90% chance it would be from EAA and they would probably charge $300-$400. However, you can get a small frame 9mm longslide conversion kit with a standard barrel; EAA lists them for $589 (when they get them in stock), but I can likely get you set up for less than that.

Are you just trying to get set up to have a Limited Minor/L10 Major setup? or are you interested in shooting Open 9 Major with this frame?

You need the upper (slide, barrel, spring) and mags. See the two attached photos. I run 9mm & 40 cal. I originally bought a 9mm limited and later purchased a 22 conversion and 40 cal conversion. The full upper conversions (9mm, 40 cal etc.) take about 6 months to get from the wonderful EAA corp. Last year my 40 cal conversion was about $460 and now I think they went up to crazy $700 prices. It runs great in 40 or 9. EAA will tell you the upper needs to be "fitted". Nope, I just slapped the 40 cal upper on, noticed the slide was pretty tight fit so I lubed it up with slide-glide, racked the slide about 100 times before going to the range. I'll continue to run 9mm and 40 but I'll sell the 22 conversion.

It may be easier, cheaper, and much faster to buy a used 9mm.

Good luck.

post-32063-0-99581500-1405705196_thumb.j

post-32063-0-83320700-1405705211_thumb.j

You can do like me and just buy another Tanfo. It honestly seems cheaper sometimes but I have an addiction. On a side note I do have a 9mm looking to sell/trade if wanted to get for your son. They are great guns

Sent from my flux capacitor

You can do like me and just buy another Tanfo. It honestly seems cheaper sometimes but I have an addiction. On a side note I do have a 9mm looking to sell/trade if wanted to get for your son. They are great guns

Sent from my flux capacitor

Is that large frame or small frame Gump?

Just looking to run production 9mm in this frame to allow my 10 year to shoot this gun at the range. .40 Cal has a little too much recoil for him right now.

When you say production 9mm, you mean factory 9mm ammo for range plinking right? not the USPSA Production division?

Just looking to run production 9mm in this frame to allow my 10 year to shoot this gun at the range. .40 Cal has a little too much recoil for him right now.

When you say production 9mm, you mean factory 9mm ammo for range plinking right? not the USPSA Production division?

That is correct John... Range plinking....