Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short open guns

hdgun

I am thinking about building a short top end in 9mm major for my blaster. What barrels are being used? Bull/threaded or cone style barrel/threaded. I plan on using a government slide and cutting to length. I need your input guys! Thanks for lookin, John

john, you should consult bob at brazos or dan bedell because this is the way they build short guns. bob uses shortened govt slides to build his top of the line guns. the difference is that bob has special trubore type barrels and dan uses bull barrels. obviously the shortest of these two are the trubores as this eliminates the threaded part of the bull barrel past the slide or approx 1/2 inch. comp length also plays a role in how short a gun is. good luck. j.l. hardy

in my short guns i use the schuemann AET commander length barrel with a gov't slide which i shoten by .700", and my own 7 port comp. there are alot of different builders out there doing a short gun. the best thing for you to do is just talk to ask as many people as you can and get the input you need to make your decision. all the builders out there believe they have the best combination,i feel that way about my guns. who is right is based on what you are looking for. hopefully you will get enough responses from this post to help you make a well informed decision.

I use a government length slide that I cut back to 4.2". I use Bar Sto barrels and a cone style comp which results in an OAL from the end of the hood to the end of the comp on about 6-6.25" depending on the comp. I make the recoil spring plug in house and use a commander spring.

So what you guys are saying is, there is no right or wrong in using either set up. It seems it's who has got the better mouse trap. Now, the slide, pros and cons of cutting the slide or using commander slide. I have read that using a cut gov slide will be better because it give a longer travel. TRUE or False? Thanks again, John

So what you guys are saying is, there is no right or wrong in using either set up. It seems it's who has got the better mouse trap. Now, the slide, pros and cons of cutting the slide or using commander slide. I have read that using a cut gov slide will be better because it give a longer travel. TRUE or False? Thanks again, John

John,

I'm not qualified to comment on Commander vs. cut Gov't. I can tell you that I have a Major 9 with a Commander slide built by J.L.

I've read that the longer stroke of the cut Gov't adds to reliablity, but my Commander runs 100% and feels great to me.

Recoil impulse and dot tracking are subjective and vary shooter to shooter, so try to shoot your buddies' guns to see what works for you. If you're ever in GA, you can shot mine.

whatever set up you decide on you can use the govt springs if you decide to let the recoil plug hang out there under the comp. if you don't like this then you use the commander reverse plug and commander springs. i used to cut back govt springs but have found that just using wolff commander springs gives me the results i want. its all a factor of personal preference an aestitics it will work either way. good shooting, j.l. hardy

I bought one of Dan Bedell's Shorty's through Shooters Connection. After using it for about 3/4 of last season, I like the setup Dan goes with. For Major, mine came fitted with the RecoilMaster, but since I also wanted to shoot Steel using Minor loads, also purchased a standard reverse plug & use an ISMI spring. Both work fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, I made my decision, I am going with an AET commander barrel with an S-2 comp,also am going to have the slide cut to fit the barrel setup. Jim @ Sailors Custom will be performing the surgery. WOW!!! what a nice guy. Thanks all for the comments and sudgestions. John