Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer and Power Factor loads

635 PCSO

From the Front Sight mag this month it loks like all the revo shooters were using Hodgdon or Alliant. What is the popular load for IPSC? My guess is the top shooters are using similar loads since only 2 powders are being used. In the last two weekends I have tested a clays load and a bullseye load both pushing 230 grains of lead. I had pressure trouble with the clays load. I did not chrono the clays but I shronoed the Bullseye load just over powerfactor it was okay but nothing to write home about.

Is it legal to shave some or all of the the hammer off in IPSC? I would like to grip higher but the hammer is getting in the way.

I use IMR 700x with 230 gr fmj. Gave me 170pf At A7 last year. This is from a 5" 625. Very soft shooting.

As far as the hammer goes, I do believe you can bob the hammer. But I am not 100% on that.

From the Front Sight mag this month it loks like all the revo shooters were using Hodgdon or Alliant.  What is the popular load for IPSC? My guess is the top shooters are using similar loads since only 2 powders are being used. In the last two weekends I have tested a clays load and a bullseye load both pushing 230 grains of lead. I had pressure trouble with the clays load. I did not chrono the clays but I shronoed the Bullseye load just over powerfactor it was okay but nothing to write home about.

Is it legal to shave some or all of the the hammer off in IPSC? I would like to grip higher but the hammer is getting in the way.

Bullseye is a standard powder for revo

JM uses Sohr (sp?)

I started using IMR7625 for low flash (night shoots).

All my revo's have the hammer spur removed...some might consider it gamey but why have something to snag on a shirt? It only seems "practical." They are also all DAO.

You can bob the hammer in USPSA revolver division. It is considered an asthetic move, it doesn't really enhance the performance of the gun.

I was using straight clays in my revolver for years. One of the guys at the match this weekend had some N320 loaded up for his revolver. I think that I might be changing over to VV.

Tom Mainus

I am using 5.0 of VV320. I also use this in my Para P-14. This makes major for me in both guns. You may need to chrono each cylinder to know for sure. Hope this helps...

Here is a small sample....

Revolver 625

714, 725, 787, 811, 715, 728 (first moon clip)

742, 754, 681, 690, 680, 681 (second moon clip)

5.0 v320

688, 763, 709

5.2 v320

761, 792, 786

5.4 v320

819, 814, 809

4.9 v320 (loaded up one more moon)

756, 776, 754, 711, 718